PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for posting on NIP!

hez
11-08-2003, 11:37 PM
Hi!

Just a quick 'Thank you' to all the ladies who posted about NIP over the last couple weeks. DH, DS and I went on a dinner cruise with my co-workers Friday night, and I got my first shot at it. I did go to what I thought would be a quieter part of the boat, but it was still kind of tough b/c DS was very easily distracted. So, today, before I headed to a friend's wedding, I reread all your posts for encouragement. Thank goodness I did!

Right on cue (halfway through the ceremony) DS woke up ready to eat. We went to what I call the 'crying child' room at the back of the sanctuary. It was fantastic, I thought-- one-way glass, nice & dim, but I could still see/hear the ceremony. So, I got DS latched on without having to use a blanket-- feeling very secure as the photographer walked by in the sanctuary. A few minutes later his wife, the other photographer walked by, looked in the window and smiled at me. Then it hits me. I FLASHED THE PHOTOGRAPHER!!!

Thank you all for posting your stories, because I'm not nearly as embarassed as I could have been :) It'll be a funny story to tell, though. DH was at a college football game today, and isn't home yet, so I can't wait to see his face!

One last point-- there were 2 other infants at the wedding & reception-- and we were all BF'ing. I got so many positive comments at the receptin when they or other women came into the restroom (where there was a quiet, comfy chair), it added to my resolve to get over myself and get out of my house more often!

THANK YOU!

Rachels
11-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Good for you! I think it's great that you were comfortable nursing while you were out. The models on the freeway bulletin boards near my house show more of their breasts than I do when I'm feeding my child, and their cleavage is never an issue. Why should mine be? Every time you nurse in public, you not only care for your baby but also help shift the notion that breastfeeding is a shameful act. Also, you'll enjoy your life more if you can get out of the house. Thumbs up!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

stillplayswithbarbies
11-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Good for you! Everytime one of us nurses in public, it makes it easier for the next one.

I'm very impressed that you did this with such a new baby! It gets even easier when baby gets old enough to help by holding their own head up.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sntm
11-09-2003, 05:06 PM
good for you! soon the big challrngr will be how to top the last NIP.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

spu
11-09-2003, 05:40 PM
That's great! and it only gets easier!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

houseof3boys
11-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Good for you Heather! Hysterical that you flashed the photographer too.

hez
11-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Thanks-- DS holds his head upright decently well, but control is a whole 'nother issue :) He's at the head-bob stage...

He normally chooses to brunch during the sermon on Sundays, but today (yesterday?!) he was late-- so got hungry while we were out to lunch with friends. One of the husbands was sitting directly across from me. It took him 3-4 minutes to realize I'd popped a blanket over my shoulder, latched on DS underneath, and he was nursing happily. I'm kind of excited about my new-found freedom! Can you tell?!

megulis
11-11-2003, 12:40 AM
I had my first NIP experience today! Well, not exactly the first. I have done it a few times in my car, but I feel this really counts more. I was in Joann's, and my ds started crying. I had my MnM pouch on in a larger setting. Having nursed him in the sling for 4/5 time at home and a few hours before at my MIL's home, I just whipped out my breast at a corner of the store behind lots of fabrics. DS latched on pretty quickly, and I started moving around the store mostly in the fabric aisles. I browsed around and asked my dh if he could see anything. He reassured me he couldn't and that only if a person looked long and hard could anyone know that I was. It was a freeing experience because it tends to take me a while to browse.

I also would like to thank the women who posted for giving me the courage so that I didn't feel so awkward to do so.

toomanystrollers
11-11-2003, 06:03 AM
Good for you! It really gets easier and more comfortable the more you NIP. I remember with our first - I was very uncomfortable and awkward. Now, with our 3rd - nothing stops me :)

MartiesMom2B
11-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Heather:

Yay for you. I was in a wedding last July and I had to NIP, with a bridesmaid dress on (haltertop style). Luckily I was able to find a little area with a comfy couch in the ladies room that was secluded so I could take the top down to nurse.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

megulis
11-11-2003, 04:25 PM
That's amazing! On top of being a bridesmaid? It would have been funny; you going down the aisle while bf'ing in a sling! lol

new_mommy25
11-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Yay! I nurse everywhere and it gets easier every time.

I noticed our sons share the same birthday!

parkersmama
11-11-2003, 09:35 PM
I have to agree, Pam! With Parker it seemed like such a hardship that I hardly ever did it. It's gotten easier each time, though, and now I do it anytime, anywhere that nursing is necessary. Of course, we are on the go all the time with the older kids so I learned that I really don't have a choice!