PDA

View Full Version : avent nipples + partial weaning

twizzli
11-09-2003, 03:35 PM
We have been using the avent reusable 0-3 months nipples, which have been fine, but it seems like ds (4 mos) is now working really hard to get the formula out. I'd like to switch to faster flow, but should we go to the 3-6 or can we jump straight to the 6 mos?
Also, we mostly use the reusable bottles and nipples, but occasionally use the disposable. DH thinks the 2 kinds are just a marketing scam. I've tried the clear nipple in the disposable bottle and it leaked like crazy. I also tried the blue nipple in the reusable bottle, no leaks but ds again seemed like he was working really hard at it (could be just the size of the nipple though)
So, my question is: should we switch up to faster flow and if so, what size and what kind?

Also, after 4 exhausting months of pumping, ds is now weaned during the day and nurses only 2x a day (first thing in the am and right before bedtime) Should this affect which nipple I use? I'd love to keep this up til he's 6 months and would appreciate any tips as bhe gets older.
Thanks!!!

Momof3Labs
11-09-2003, 04:19 PM
No nipple flow advice because we mostly bf'd, but I wanted to say that the reusable and disposable Avent nipples ARE different - the reusable have a thin ring of silicone on the bottom that acts as a valve to let in air as the baby drinks. The disposables do not have this ring because there is no need to let air into the bags (they collapse). That's why you can't switch the nipples back and forth between the two systems - the reusable nipple + disposable bottle = leaks, and the disposable nipple + the reusable bottle = a vacuum (hard to get the formula out of the bottle).

lizajane
11-09-2003, 06:24 PM
ditto- you cannot use the disposable and reusable nipples interchangeably. it is not a marketing scam! for once! they are actually designed differently.

do not jump to the 6mo. we tried it. the milk poured out all over him, he choked on it, and he ended up with a tummy ache and tons of gas. definitely go one step up at a time.

twizzli
11-09-2003, 07:02 PM
oops, I meant that we are using the newborn nipples now (one hole) and I'd like to jump to 3 months+ (3 holes) Is this still too much of a leap ? DS is 4 months and on the heavier side

lizajane
11-09-2003, 08:37 PM
i would still go to 2 holes before moving onto the 3. think of this- a small slice of chocolate cake might be less than you want, leaving you wanting more. but a WHOLE chocolate cake would just make you sick. best to just have a larger slice.

twizzli
11-10-2003, 05:15 PM
ack!!! I just checked all our avent bottles today and maybe 50% of the nipples were cracked at the hole (I feel like such a bad mom!!) no wonder ds is working so hard on the less used ones!!! Now I think we definitely need to bump up to a faster flow. He could have choked!!! Were these defective or has anyone else seen this happen????

Also, any tips on partial weaning...I'm trying to bf once before bed and first thing in the am, but I'm concerned that my supply will go down overall. I've been letting ds cluster feed at these times if he wants. Is that a good strategy? Any tips?
Thanks

Momof3Labs
11-10-2003, 05:57 PM
You are supposed to replace Avent bottle nipples every few months, so if you have been using them daily for 4 months, then they are probably due to be retired, not defective.