PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for a baby at 9 mos?

cinrein
11-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Anna was 9lbs at birth as has consistently been 95th percentile for height and weight. We haven't had a checkup since she was 6 mos (August), so I have no idea where she is now.

While she doesn't exactly crawl forward yet, she can crawl backwards and has no trouble getting around using a combo rolling/sitting up method. She just started pulling herself to standing and even took one cruising step (from Leapstart table to couch).

Since she became mobile, her body has changed a lot. She doesn't have nearly as many rolls around her belly and back and she did. She still has thunder thighs, but the calves are more shaped rather than doughy and dimpled. She still has big cheeks, but they are not quite as chubby as they were. Even her arms are less doughy.

Do babies normally undergo a body change when they become mobile? My concern is coming from the fact that we're really getting into solids now and maybe she's not getting enough to eat. More than once now she refused the breast and preferred to sit in her high chair and feed herself. :(

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

flagger
11-10-2003, 03:57 PM
For weight, have you tried stepping on a scale holding her and not holding her just to get a rough guestimate of her weight. At this age, she will not starve. Biology and physiology will not allow that to happen. She will let you know if she is hungry.

One thing, is I try not to get too focused on what is eaten in a day, but try to look at the amounts over a week to two week period. Just wait, the days will come where she will only eat orange food or nothing but grilled cheese. :D :D :D

bluej
11-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Oh yes this is normal. If any thinning down is going to happen it's going to happen in those first weeks they become mobile. Then it will taper off. Believe me, if she wasn't getting enough to eat, she'd let you know! B/w being mobile and the new interest in feeding herself you're going to see a sweet little girl more than a sweet little baby! It literally seems to happen overnight. Or at least it did for me. Cuddle her while she'll still let you and enjoy the new developments!

egoldber
11-10-2003, 04:05 PM
This is totally normal. As they become mobile, they start to lean out. Their growth rate slows down tremendousky in the last half of the first year and even more so in the second year. Sounds like she's doing terrific!

HTH,

cinrein
11-10-2003, 04:14 PM
I tried the scale thing, but my scale isn't very accurate. It gives you + or - 5 lbs---which I was totally happy with when weighing just me. ;)

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03