PDA

View Full Version : First solid

yhtking
11-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Now that DS is 5-mo old. We are planning to try the rice cereal this week. Now both I and my husband work full time so we really don't have time in the morning to try solids with him. Is it okay to try the rice cereal in the evening? I've tried the 1:5 ratio before, but DS just wasn't interested. How many spoons should I try with him? Does anyone have any advice or opinions? What if he doesn't even open his mouth when I put the spoon in front of him? Will he ever be interested?

Thanks,
Mom to baby Tyler (6/6/3)

JMarie
11-10-2003, 08:17 PM
We started DS on rice cereal at 5 months, a month earlier than our ped originally wanted, but only because he would stare at DH & my food and try to snatch our plates. I think we would only make about 1 tablespoon a day. We fed him in the evening at first, but now he's on three meals a day. We started on cereals (rice, oatmeal, barley), then veggies, then fruits. He's a champ now. If your DS starts a little slow, don't worry - I have a good friend whose son didn't really start solids until 9 months!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

LucyG
11-10-2003, 08:46 PM
The only time we do solids in the morning is on the weekends. It just works better that way for us, and DD doesn't mind a bit! She gets them at lunch, and sometimes at supper. We tried cereal at 6 months, but she was not at all interested until 7.5 months. We offered it here and there, but didn't rush her. Eventually, she decided that she was ready. So, don't be discouraged if your son doesn't dive right in. He will get there in his own time!

C99
11-10-2003, 09:12 PM
It's fine to try rice cereal whenever your child is developmentally ready for it (can sit, has outgrown tongue-thrust reflex, etc.). Most babies are "fresher" in the morning and more likely to try new things then, but evenings are fine for this too.

I HIGHLY recommend reading Ellyn Satter's book: Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, as she addresses many of your questions. She recommends just putting a little of the cereal on his lips for him to taste it. He may open his mouth for more or shut it firmly. When we first tried cereal with Nate (at about 5.5 months), his reaction was more of the latter -- he wasn't really interested in eating until he was over 6 months old. The spoon that Satter recommends is one with a long handle and a soft "bowl" -- I like the Safety 1st semi-disposable spoons (Take n Toss?).

If he doesn't open his mouth when the spoon is in front of him, put a little bit of food on his lips and see if he'll take it. If he still won't, try again in a few days.

And, yes, he will eventually be interested -- but maybe not at 5 months. There is NO reason that a child that young HAS to have solids, so try to let Tyler take the lead on solids and have fun!

KMommie
11-11-2003, 03:13 PM
We started rice cereal a few weeks ago. I wanted to be the one to give DD her one and only meal of the day, so we do it at dinner. She has an evening bottle and then about an hour later we try 1 T of rice cereal mixed with 2 T of formula. We started out soupier, but have moved along for texture. If you do decide to try rice cereal in the evening, I would do it on an evening where the next day, it's okay if you're a bit tired, just in case the cereal causes some tummy distress and you're up all night!

As for interest in solids, I would take my lead from your DS. Some babies aren't interested until later on. According to "indicators" like weight, neck control and formula consumption---DD was "ready" at 3 months. We waited until she was over 6 months old because of allergy concerns. At 6 1/2 months, we still take our cues from her. As soon as she keeps her mouth closed when the spoon is in front of her or turns her head away, we stop.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

kransden
11-11-2003, 03:25 PM
We started giving dd hers in the evening. We did try at 5 mos and she had no interest in it. We waited again until 6 months and it was a go. So if ds doesn't want it, no big deal, offer it again in a week or 2. How many 2 year olds do you know the only drink milk? :)

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

hellokitty1
11-11-2003, 10:26 PM
DD and I both work FT as well and we started rice cereal at 5 months. We started on a weekend in the late afternoon but continued each day at night. It was fine for us but someone on the baord did mention to me (Thanks Viv) that if possible, it might be better to try new foods in the AM so that if there is a bad reaction, you and DH aren't up all night dealing with it. Now our issue is that DD is a bad napper and is so tired after gettingg home that she is sometimes too fussy to want to eat regardless of whether she likes the food or not.

>tried the 1:5 ratio before, but DS just wasn't interested. How
>many spoons should I try with him? Does anyone have any advice
>or opinions? What if he doesn't even open his mouth when I put
>the spoon in front of him? Will he ever be interested?

I'm sure he'll eventually be interested. The nice thing about cereal is it's not that expensive so some waste is not too bad. I'd mix with water at first if he doesn't seem to eat much. I started with the 1:5 ratio as well but after a couple feedings, I thought it was way too runny and seemed to defeat the purpose of "solids." The other thing is, if you start our thick, you could always add more liquid if it helps.

Jen in Chicago
11-12-2003, 09:18 AM
DH and I both work. This is what has been working for us and daycare....
Saturday am start something new
Everyday-Feed Jude 2 T cereal and 1 T of new food in the morning and around 4:30
Right now we are feeding a new veggie per week, and we do a few days of rice cereal with it, and a few days of oatmeal.

He loves his food, and the Ped suggested giving it 2 times a day after 2 weeks of cereal.

So far we have had rice cereal (with and without bananas), oatmeal, avocado, and squash

Yesterday I got fed up that I was paying $.50 a jar for squash, so I cooked one last night for him.

Normally M-F we don't feed him since daycare does it. He was falling asleep so early (and not sleeping well later in the night) that there was not time for me to feed him. He also sees it and wants it, so I feel cruel not letting him eat with the other children at daycare. He is the youngest and get the short straw all the time I feel.

Melanie
11-13-2003, 06:39 PM
I just wanted to add that if he decides he doesn't want it, don't stress about it. Ds didn't want baby foods (we tried several types for several weeks) and didn't end up eating food until he got teeth at 11.5 months, when he could eat regular foods. Now he's two and eats like a typical (read: finicky) toddler, but he's eating & all types of foods. =)

DDowning
11-14-2003, 12:57 AM
I don't have anything to add other than that I just started cereal with my little guy tonite. I had the same questions you did. I mixed 1 part cereal (Earth's Best) with 3 parts Formula, put some on a baby spoon and he practically dove for it when I brought it to his mouth. He smacked his lips and down it went and opened his mouth like a little bird wanting more. I wound up giving him about 8-10 baby spoonfuls. I guess he was ready all along and was waiting for us to get on the ball!!!!

All you can do is try it and see what happens! Good Luck!