PDA

View Full Version : List of highly allergenic foods?

heidi_timms
11-11-2003, 01:45 AM
I asked the ped and she didn't have any pamphlets about feeding, except for toddlers. I am wondering about how long to wait for certain foods? Why is there no manual to go with this baby of mine? Just kidding...

I was reading somewhere that corn was a highly allergenic item, but I can't find any other sources on the internet. I know about peanut butter and berries? Is it all berries or just some? And of course honey. Why are there so many conflicting views on highly allergenic items. We have NO history of allergies in my family, but I heard on the news that allergies are on the rise. Why do baby food companies make baby food with highly allergic items? Such as Earth's best Rasberry/Pear and Blueberry baby food.

Why does Super baby food recommend giving nuts to an eighth-month old???? Is she for real?

Help! I want to be careful to not give DD any allergies!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Karenn
11-11-2003, 02:33 AM
Dr. Sears has a lot of info about this on his website. [http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041800.asp] Yes, there are a ton of conflicting views on allergies! I've read so much about allergies that it's hard for me to tell what I think is accurate anymore. All I'm certain of is that Colin has reactions when he eats wheat and dairy!

I also thought it was a little odd that Super Baby Food was so big on feeding nut butters to young children. She does say that she updates parts of her book on her website, but I never got around to checking her website to see if she had anything more to say about nuts.

Colin had a history of food allergies on both sides of his family tree so I wasn't entirly shocked to find he had some of his own. I was glad that I was cautious- but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. It makes helping a baby learn to eat MUCH more challenging if you're constantly watching out for those potentially allergenic foods. I mean those 7 or so "highly allergenic foods" are in just about everything (even Cheerios have wheat in them!) so it's impossible to avoid all of them for very long. I think that this is another example where moderation is the key.

HTH,

Rachels
11-11-2003, 08:19 AM
The most common allergens are dairy, wheat, soy, peanuts, and eggs. A bigger problem for babies starting solids, though, is just introducing stuff they're not quite ready for. Next time around I won't introduce grains until at least nine months, for example. Acidic fruits are harder than non-acidic fruits. Anything that is a potential gassy food if you're nursing is something to wait on until your little one is accustomed to solid food.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JElaineB
11-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Here is a list I have used, though I didn't follow it exactly and didn't always go in order. But it gives you a good idea of foods likely to cause allergies.

Sequence of Adding Solid Foods for the Allergic Infant
http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample2.html

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02