PDA

View Full Version : Please reccomend a good book on breastfeeding...

aliceinwonderland
11-12-2003, 02:58 PM
I have decided to get a book or two instead of taking a class...Which books have you experinced mamas found to be helpful and no-nonsense?

Thank You very much!!

eri and the bean due April 20th

farsk
11-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Hello!

I really liked "The Nursing Mother's Companion". It is divided up into age sections with a "survival guide" listed in the back.

I also took a class and found it very helpful! Does the place where you're having baby offer free classes? It's worth it IMHO.

Good Luck!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen 7/23/2003

aliceinwonderland
11-12-2003, 03:08 PM
It offers a class that is 25$ for a couple (though I don't see the point of bringing my DH in with me). Did you really think it was useful? I am sceptical about these things, I'm not even takinga birthing class (But i know a lot already, asloe reading books and such).

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
11-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Oh my gosh, yes, go to the class and bring your DH (most everyone brought their DH to our classes)!! A book can't show you the positions like someone can in a class. And my DH found the class so helpful - he would help me with positioning and such because he had seen it in class, and he just understood the process so much better.

Plus, when we had problems, we called the instructor and it was so nice to already know her rather than having to deal with someone we didn't know.

sntm
11-12-2003, 03:26 PM
i _loved_ Dr. Mom's guide to breastfeeding. lots of info, good tone, easy to read and to use as a reference. read most of the others too and still think it is the best.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

aliceinwonderland
11-12-2003, 03:27 PM
ok, the consensus seems to be DH needs to go. OK.
Any idea for best timing of class? How close to delivery date should I be when I take it? Thanks, and sorry for the seemingly idiotic questions!

eri

votre_ami03
11-12-2003, 03:38 PM
I too have the Nursing Mother's Companion. Great resource!

It could of been my instructor, but I didn't feel I really took anything away from my BF class at the hospital. I learned most from the book & other resources.

To answer a few of your ques's, I went in about a month b/f Nolan was born. I went w/out H (not the supportive type). Most of the women had their DH's w/them, I think it can be helpful for them to understand BF'ing better. Register early, no matter when you tyake your class. They will fill quickly!

Good luck!

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

amp
11-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Okay, to answer your question, I liked "The Everything Breastfeeding Book" and "So That's What These Are For". I know, not the most scientific, but I spent a few days scouring all the books and I felt that these still gave the important information about benefits as well as obstacles that the more medically oriented books gave, but they also had a sense of humor, which I needed when it came to reading these books.

Secondly, I am really glad that I took a breastfeeding class, even though I was not able to breastfeed as long as I would have liked. It really helped DH to understand the process and the obstacles I would soon encounter. It helped him to be so much more supportive of me when we went through it. It was really helpful!

And....I thought I knew everything there was to know about the birth process from my extensive reading. I still took a childbirth class with my husband and we both learned some things we didn't know. And I didn't even end up going through the labor! I had a C-Section, but I still think I learned some things about my pregnancy, knowing what to expect and prepare for, as well as newborn care from this class. I highly recommend you reconsider taking the classes!

Just my 2 cents.

jec2
11-12-2003, 03:59 PM
We went to a bf class and while much of the information was not new to me--I had encountered much of it in my own reading and research--having DH attend was crucial to our committment so far. DH learned so much about the benefits of bf and also how difficult bf can be. Moreover, he learned how important it would be for him to support me during the rough patches that are inevitable the first few weeks.

More than once I became completely discouraged with bf and he was right there telling me that we were all just learning and that it wouild get better and how awesome of a job I was doing. I don't think he would have been as aware of his important role without going to the class. So, please take your husband if you are really committed to bf, hyou will need him as your best ally when things get rough.

pritchettzoo
11-12-2003, 04:31 PM
I had the Nursing Mother's Companion and So That's What They're For. I recommend both, although they do repeat information. The first is more formal, and the second is very informative and a hoot to boot. I found them cheap on overstock.com (and if you've never ordered from them, you get a $5 bonus when you first do, and their shipping is cheap!).

I went to the class our hospital offered, and it was crap compared to the books. Of course, the LC who taught it was fine in class (very anti-formula to a point of being obnoxious) but in reality once I delivered, she was an easy-way-out kind of gal who didn't know diddly about bf. But that was another post! So if $25 isn't a hardship, take the class. Chances are you'll have a fabulous teacher and it will be good for DH. Do it closer to your due date so it will be fresher in your mind. But you won't remember anything after the baby comes anyway, so bring your books to the hospital!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

houseof3boys
11-12-2003, 05:02 PM
I think the breastfeeding for couples classes are wonderful. DH really enjoyed the class despite the "okay, if you *really* want me to go I will" attitude. It was great for him to be educated because when you are living off of 2 hours of sleep, he is your pseudo LC. He will also hear how important it is for you to get as much rest as possible and will be inclined to bring you snacks and water when you need them!

The Nursing Mother's Companion, So That's what they're for and the Breastfeeding Book are all great reference books for the beginning as well as questions you may have on weaning, solids, challenges, et cetera! I have all of them and found them a great source of information. These boards are the encouragement and support you need and the books are the basics!

jesseandgrace
11-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Hi. I hope things are going well for you so far :). I had both of my kids at the Beth Israel. (I know you live near me) If you are delivering there, they offer a BF class everyday, so you can take it when you are there. i found that to be more than enough prep time, because at first you can just get help from the nurses in Labor and Delivery, they are great. Let me know if you are delivering there also and want more information.

Jennifer

MartiesMom2B
11-13-2003, 10:20 AM
My hospital took care of the timing of the class based on the due dates of the women. Even if you don't get much from the class, I met a lot of my mommy friends from that birth class.

I was really worried about breastfeeding and read Nursing Mother's Companion. Dr. Sear's Breastfeeding book was very reassuring to me while I was breastfeeding. I also went to a La Leche meeting the week before I gave birth. I found going to the meeting was very helpful, because the women showed me how to latch your baby on and they gave me some great tips that weren't in the books.

Congrats on your pregnancy. And yes bring your DH, because he'll remember stuff that you won't and he'll learn how to be a good supportive husband (even if he already is).

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

aliceinwonderland
11-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks!! Yes, everything is going fine, we got our furniture the other night (a bit of an overachiever, i know, I'm only 18 weeks pregnant!).
I'm actually delivering across the street at Brighams. They have breastfeeding classes, but I want to wait (for once!) till I'm closer to delivery time so that I don't forget everything.
Thanks so much!!

eri

missym
11-13-2003, 12:22 PM
I've found this book to be very informative: The Complete Book of Breastfeeding, by Dr. Marvin Eiger and Sally Wendkos Olds.

Here is a link to the book on Amazon.com:
http://tinyurl.com/uvmd

Missy, mom to Gwen, 03/03

calebsmama03
11-13-2003, 12:46 PM
I never got to attend a class (was on bedrest for 14 weeks) and SO wish I could have. I read a TON but it still helps to have someone show you the positions IRL. If you are really against going to a class pre baby, I would DEFINITELY hire a LC (or use a doula with BF expertise) so there is someone there shortly after baby is born to show you how. Another idea is attending LLL group meetings. We have pregnant moms all the time. While they don't "teach" you to breastfeed, per se, you get lots of experience watching members nurse their babes and get to hear a realistic view of what to expect, what probs other moms have had early on, etc.

As for the DH thing, he paid really close attention when the LC was working with me and helped out a LOT with proper positioning. I was so tired and nervous about it that it helped to have another person listening to the LC and latter telling me whether he looked latched well. Honestly, in the early days BFing was a 2 person job. It's comical and tough to describe, but DH would hold DS in the proper position in front of me while I tried to get his mouth open, then DH would "shove" him on. If nothing else, it will give DH an appreciation for what you're going through.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Melanie
11-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Definitely take the class, but on top of that buy a book (I liked the Martha Sears book) AND get the name of a Lactation Consultant whom you have already called and talked to. No one thinks they are going to have problems nursing, but I would have to imagine that almost every new mother needs some help. And have your Dh come to class...remember he doesn't have Pregnant brain, so he'll remember more than you. ;-)

suribear
11-13-2003, 09:15 PM
I liked the Sears Breastfeeding Book and So that's what they're for.

Take the class to learn proper positioning (and practice) and get dh involved. You know he's not going to read the book :) But make sure you go to a good class (ask around). The quality of instruction varies!

Edited to say: I second the lactation consultant -again, get a good one!! Also, you should take the class in your third trimester so you don't forget the techniques when the time comes. Schedule early. They tend to fill up!

Kris

zen_bliss
11-13-2003, 11:52 PM
So That's What They're For! by janet tamaro. despite the cheeky title, it is *very* informative and reasssuring. i also read the LLL BFing guide but it's kind of cumbersome. The Sears Book was also great, but So That's was the one i wanted around on hand as a reference.

I didn't take a class. the hospital where i gave birth had LCs that would come by for a consult with any BFing new mom. when they said, just call with any questions, I took FULL advantage during my stay and called twice a day to get in-person consultation on new holds and 'is this normal/right' etc -- I wanted to be really prepared when I left the hospital because hiring one was not going to be an option.

the only thing i wish i had done while still in the hospital was ask to use a breastpump while i was there, for two reasons: one, get a collection kit and it would have been covered by insurance (my OB told me to do that and i forgot) and two, try it out and have the LC give some pointers on that as well.

puglucy
11-14-2003, 08:50 AM
Jack Newman's book! (don't know the title) by far the best I found, w/excellent pics of "good" & "bad& latches & a very common-sensical, thoroughly knowledgeable resource.

Both LC's I consulted were fans of his.

good luck!

Lucy
mama to Alex 3/18/03

alexsmommy
11-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Alex was born eight weeks early after two weeks of bedrest, so no class for me, but... I would not have made it without The Nursing Mother's Companion. It was a lifesaver when my nipple confused (NICU bottle fed) DS would not latch. I also recommend a great LC, which helped me learn positioning and lots of "tricks" to work with DS. The book was my lifeline at 2am when I really thought I could not make it. Happy to say, he successfully latched at 38 weeks and we didn't look back. Hopefully, you'll be one of the Mom's who have no problems from day one. Good luck!
Alaina - Mom to Alex 2-4-03 (born at 32 weeks)