PDA

View Full Version : BF in sling

mom2noah
11-12-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm looking for trips from some of you BF pros on how to BF in a sling. We're very comfortable with NIP covered with a blanket, but learning how to BF in the sling would give me a new level of freedom. I just can't figure out the logistics, like how to position DS, etc.

Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
11-12-2003, 11:08 PM
try the instructions here:

http://www.taylormadetreasures.wahmbiz.com/instructions.htm

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

votre_ami03
11-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Stephanie, My Nolan is close to Noah's age. I just received my M&M pouch the other day & was able to nurse him. I don't know what the technical term is, but I had him facing me, kind of sitting up w/his feet under him. I was at home when I tried, so I didn't have to be too discreet, but the important part was covered. ;)

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

calebsmama03
11-13-2003, 12:37 PM
It is definitely easiest to do in a ring sling - especially at such a young age. Although the directions say to have his head opposite the rings, I found it to work better for me with his head on the side with the rings until he got bigger and had really good head control. I found this way supported his head/neck better and was easier to be discreet. Just put him in a cradle position and turn him on his side and pop him on. Try to adjust the rings so his head is held to the level of your breast - I get it approximate before he's latched then fine tune the adjustment after he's on. I can usually BF with no hands or with only minor support under his head (to avoid unnatural stretching of my nipple!) I either use the tail to cover my side (where my shirt is pulled up) or to cover his head a little if he's especially distractible that day. Whenever I'm going to sling him I try to think ahead to what side he'll nurse on next. That way when it's time all I have to do is adjust a bit and pop him on.

Try it at home first to get used to it. I didn't heed that advice and it definitely draws attention to you when you're in the middle of the mall with a screaming baby while you're fumbling to adjust the sling and undo your bra :)
Good luck. Once you get the hang of it it's simple!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

spu
11-13-2003, 03:44 PM
I have a maya wrap and have been able to nurse and walk at the same time using the sling. I usually start with the wrap on and I sit down and get the baby in the cradle position and start nursing. From there, I tighten up everything so she's nice and snug. Her legs stick out and her head is supported by the sling. Looks kind of silly, but boy is it nice to be able to move around and nurse! (she's 15 mos, so a younger baby might be even more comfortable for you in the sling.) I've tried both positions - with the head opposite the rings, and on the same side. Didn't really make much of a difference as long as the rings don't push into your baby or into you.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

megulis
11-13-2003, 04:53 PM
I do the same thing in an MnM pouch! I did my first "real" trial run at Joann's!

mom2noah
11-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all of the hints! The website with the pictures of the different positions was especially helpful. I'm going to try it at home this weekend!