PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing his face and eyes while BFing?

alkagift
11-13-2003, 10:55 AM
DS has been rubbing his eyes and face, sometimes hard, while breastfeeding. It's like he's discovered he has eyes and he wants to touch them--but only when he eats! He has very long eyelashes and he wants to rub them. Sometimes I think he's pressing his eyes too hard or rubbing his face in such a way that he'll scratch himself, so I put my hand or finger in front of the eye that he's bothering. Usually that makes him wiggle and try to move my hand (although he's sucking like a champ the whole time). Is this a comfort thing? Anyone ever heard of a baby doing this?

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

bluej
11-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Ryden rubs his eyes and face when he's tired. Usually it's a fairly hard rub, sometimes it's a caress, but it always means he's tired. And yes, a lot of times it happens while he's nursing.

amp
11-13-2003, 12:23 PM
We aren't BFing, but DS does this while drinking his bottle, especially if he's tired (just waking up or ready to go down), but sometimes he just closes his eyes and rubs at them even if he's not sleepy.

jennifer13
11-13-2003, 01:34 PM
My DD does that too! I'm so glad you asked! She does it on breast or bottle, tired or not, and I've often wondered if something was making her face itch, like an allergy. But I guess it's just something babies do. I just let her do it even though it does seem like she's rubbing hard. I figure she would stop if she hurt herself.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

jmofarrill
11-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Anwyn does this, too. But she tends to grab my fingers and try to latch on to them instead. Too funny.

LOL - I just realized all our babies are May babies! Guess our babies are all in sync.

houseof3boys
11-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Ryan does this too and then his little face gets so red because he rubs so hard. He does usually do this when he is tired, but he has another habit when he's not...he will place his hand over his eyes and just keep it there. Doesn't matter if the lights are on or if it is at night in the dark, it is the cutest thing. He does it with DH too when he is giving him a bottle.