PDA

View Full Version : many questions about pumping, bottles, and so forth

Caroline1124
11-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Hi all,
I have several questions. I recently returned to work, which means my baby Dylan (15weeks) just started daycare. He doesn't sleep well there so when he gets home he's usually down for the night by about 8:30. So I lost at least 2 daytime feedings and 1 night feeding (before the time change he went to bed at 10pm sharp every night). Needless to say this has drastically reduced my supply. My questions are:
1. I have been using the Avent Isis at work but find myself too busy sometimes to pump more than once a day, and when I do, my milk never lets down so I generally get less than an ounce of milk. Will an electric pump do better?

2. I didn't anticipate this decrease, so I had very little EBM stored in the freezer. What I do have, I have been giving the daycare 5oz EBM and 6-8 oz formula (which he gobbles up). Can I mix EBM with formula to help stretch out my supply and to make sure he gets enough at one feeding?

3. In an attempt to increase my supply I tried Mother's Milk Tea. Can't stand the taste of the stuff and the one time I tried it, it was late at night so i have no idea if it worked or not. Any suggestions on when to take it, how fast it works, how often should I take it, how can I improve the taste ??

4. Finally, I borrowed a Medela PIS which I am going to bring to work as soon as the replacement parts arrive. Which bottles can be used to collect the EBM? Are the 5oz Medela bottles the only ones that fit?

Thanks for reading, TIA for any and all suggestions!!!

KGoes
11-13-2003, 03:58 PM
1) I would think that an electric pump would be much better. DD is 14 weeks and eats 6 times a day - I BF morning and right when we get home and at lunch when I can get to daycare. I pump at least twice at work - 3 times when I don't feed at lunch. I know it's a pain, but pump as often and as thoroughly as you can. I pump at my desk , which is convenient, but I also store up "pumping work" like document review, etc. so that I don't have to stop working when I pump. I also BF exclusively on the weekends except for her evening bottle with DH.

4) I use an Avent adapter and pump straight into Avent bottles with my PIS. Once I have the next day's bottles filled, I pump straight into freezer bags. The only reason that I even carry a Medela bottle around is in case I forget the adapter for the Avent bottles.

Kelley
DD born 7/30/03

sntm
11-13-2003, 03:59 PM
can answer a couple of questions --

try to add another pumping during the day if you can and try to make yourself as relaxed as possible during the pumping. go somewhere quiet, bring a picture of your DS, play soft music, whatever works. definitely pump at night before you go to bed at least until your supply is back up.

1.many people find an electric pump works much better -- plus you can pump both sides at the same time which helps tremendously in allowing you more time for pumping. i personally don't think the rental pumps are any stronger, so i don't think you need to get one of those. the PIS should work great.

2. many people combine EBM and formula. the one drawback is if he isn't hungry enough to finish it all, you waste some EBM also. if your daycare is agreeable, maybe have them offer a few ounces of EBM with each feeding then finish that feeding with formula (y'know, refill the bottle when they stop to burp him)

3. fenugreek tablets have worked well for people. do a search to find more info.

4. just about any narrow-necked bottle can screw right on and if you use avent bottles, they have an adapter for wide mouth bottles. since you tend to have small amounts after pumping, this would also eliminate the lost drops from transferring the EBM from pump bottles to baby bottles.

good luck! keep us updated and feel free to email with any questions or just for support! i've been pumping at work for 4 months now.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Caroline1124
11-13-2003, 04:07 PM
thanks for the quick replies!!

I didn't know there were Avent adaptors. Definitely will get those.

I considered the fenugreek but I have a terrible time remembering to take pills.

Does the electric pump help any at all with let-down?? I noticed that since my supply has decreased I rarely am able to let-down at work. It's been frustrating, which I am sure doesn't help either.

Well I am going to go pump now.. Thanks again and keep the advice coming!

Jen in Chicago
11-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Hopefully the PIS will be the key to help you. I used Gerber and Evenflow bottles with mine. I would use whatever you are going to have him fed from, don't want to lose any LIQUID GOLD in the transfer.

Good luck!

Momof3Labs
11-13-2003, 04:34 PM
It helps to imitate your baby's sucking pattern when you pump. Start with a fast speed but low suction and once you start getting a letdown, switch to a slow speed but the highest suction that you can tolerate (it should not be painful). It may take a few days or even a week, but you should see a tremendous improvement in your pumping output!

Oh, and being stressed about not getting a letdown tends to make it harder to have a letdown, so it's hard, but try to relax!!

sntm
11-13-2003, 04:54 PM
the way i understand it is fenugreek has a dose response, so if you miss some doses, no big deal. you could always keep the bottle with your pump and take them when you pump (ideally 3x a day)

i know i sometimes feel like all i do at work is pump ;) but it's maintained my supply wonderfully and i usually pump more than i need (saving it now for solids -- "boob cubes")

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Caroline1124
11-14-2003, 03:25 PM
So I have looked for the adaptor for Avent bottles, but I can't find them online. Where can I purchase them??

Thanks again!

billysmommy
11-14-2003, 03:38 PM
we got ours at BRU, I've also seen them at Target, not sure if target.com carries them but you might want to look there