PDA

View Full Version : the Flu and BFing

calebsmama03
11-15-2003, 12:20 AM
DS officially has the flu - he had a positive flu test this evening and the poor thing is miserable - and I'm sure I'm also coming down with it. I know I can and should keep nursing while we're sick, but I'm curious about pumping. I usually pump to build extra for daycare on my days off, but I'm not sure whether I can still do this if I end up sick. Any thoughts?

Also, anyone have the Hale book willing to look up Tamiflu and Relenza for me? I'm going to call my doc to ask about a script for one but my docs office is pretty clueless about meds and BFing.
Thanks!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

s7714
11-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Hey Lynne,

Sorry to hear it turned out to be the flu! :( I don't have the Hale book, but I think the AAP site has a lot of the meds that can and can't transfer to babies through BM. I didn't see the two you listed though--are those the commercial names or the actual drug name?

Here's the AAP site: (you have to scroll down a ways to get to the drug tables)
http://www.aap.org/policy/0063.html

Hope you guys get better soon (and stay better this time! ;) )
Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

calebsmama03
11-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Thanks :) Thanks for the drug link - I'll bookmark it for future reference. Unfortunately it won't matter this time. C's pedi told me to call my doc and ask about those meds (brand names) which are antivirals that when taken within the first 24-48 hours after someone in your house develops the flu can prevent you from getting it and/or reduce the severity and duration. If taken within 24 hours after you already show symptoms yourself it will lessen the severity and duration. (C can't take b/c only approved for 1 and up). I called my doc and she wasn't in but the on duty doc said I'd jsut have to wait till Mon and talk to my reg doc because they don't prescribe drugs over the phone (and the nurse was SO rude). Understand, but seriously, it's not like I'm asking for a narcotic or something! Geez. Plus, they did an actual TEST on C and it came back positive for influenza A, so it's not like this was even speculation that it really is the flu! By Monday it will be too late, so I'm on the hunt for a new doc for me. Sooo angry. I'm already getting a cough, aches and chills so Monday is too late.

Gotta say, though, that I'm loving my sling these days. C cries and cries when I put him down, so I've had him in the sling tummy to tummy and he snuggles up and sleeps. Poor little guy...

Sorry - had to vent. Thanks again, Jennifer, and we'll talk soon ;)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

mattysmom
11-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks for this info - and Jennifer, what is the origin of "Annalia?" I've never heard it before and it's beautiful! Do you call her Annie?

Momof3Labs
11-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Lynne, I hope that you are both feeling better soon - no fun!!

s7714
11-15-2003, 09:45 PM
OT - Thanks for the compliment. I haven't found any actual origin of Annalia. I just liked the name Lia, but wanted something longer, so I paired it with Anna. DH thought I was kind of nutty for wanting to use a name I just "came up with", but after a search online I found a couple women in Italy with the name and he's part Italian, so that helped it stay on our name list. :) I call her Anna and DH calls her Annie...everyone else calls her one or the other.

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

jd11365
11-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Lynne,
Just wanted to wish you both a speedy recovery from the flu...you poor things...I had it once and it was horrible. I can't imagine poor little Caleb having to go through it! Kayla wasn't old enough for the flu shot this year, but she is definitely going to get it next year!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03