PDA

View Full Version : Pumping and the super boob

houseof3boys
11-16-2003, 08:31 PM
I know it is totally normal to have a super boob (one that gives more milk when pumping), but it seems that the difference between the two is growing! It used to be just about 20% less than the super boob, then it became about 40% less and now it is like 60% less than the other! I have been massaging the breast that gives less milk when pumping and that helps but it is also hard to do while pumping both at the same time without a milk bath. Is this change (over the last 3 months) normal? I'm still drinking water like a fish and taking my lecithin daily.

Does this post make any sense, I'm sleep deprived today? :P

Edited to add that I feed more from the lagging one not the super boob during the day to stimulate production. I have done this for 2 months and it still gives me the same result!

KGoes
11-17-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm not functioning at full sleep capacity either, so I hope this makes sense. I had to quit "double pumping" to even up production. I start and finish on the "lagging" boob. If I start on the slacker, I get a modest amount. I then switch to "super" and get almost twice as much. But then the slacker has another letdown. Competition among the girls? I then pump more from the slacker. Not a ton, but an ounce or so, which starts to even up the deficit. When I pump both at the same time this does not happen. I may just be weird, but it's worked for me.
Kelley
DD born 7/03

momma_boo
11-17-2003, 11:44 AM
What I do sometimes when I start to have a super boob/lagging boob is to let DD nurse more often on the lagging boob to try to give it more stimulation. I'll give it first for more feedings. If she's really hungry, she'll nurse from both sides. If she is satisfied after one side, I'll pump the other side. This would help me most of the time since as I've learned from these boards, pumping is not as effective as the baby in sucking and stimulating production.

Also remember to relax. Sometimes I would get tense b/c it was the lagging boob and I think that probably made it worse also. Good luck!

houseof3boys
11-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Esther when it first started out, that is what I started to do and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It did in the beginning by about an ounce when I pumped at night but now it doesn't make any difference. I remember someone giving that advice so I started following it. I'm sure the stress or anticipation of seeing how much I pump is adding to it though!!!

marie
11-17-2003, 01:44 PM
seeing as i have only successfully pumped 1 ounce ever, i'm intrigued by the "super/slacker boob" concept. (and it gave me the giggles thinking about a breast pad with a giant 'SB' on it :D )

i'm also sleep deprived - must be something in the air that is keeping our darlings awake. . .

sorry i have no advice. i wish you luck in even-ing things out!

McQ
11-17-2003, 08:42 PM
No advice but I can commiserate with you Debbi. My left one always out performed my right one. Sorry to say that nothing worked for me. Hope you find something that works for you.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03