PDA

View Full Version : Egg question...

KimberleyDawn
11-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Whole eggs after a year right? I was sticking to this until I realized that a lot of the prepared foods I was giving contained whole egg. There has never been a problem with the crackers, cookies and bread he has had. Can he have a whole scrambled egg now too?
Kim

dogmom
11-17-2003, 11:41 AM
I have to admit my son is only 10 months and I just started giving him whole scrambled eggs. I realize that you are supposed to hold off until a year for allergies and immature digestive systems, but he has had no problems with any foods, and he does get food with eggs in them. I'm not sure if the antigen in egg whites changes during the processing for some foods, but I just said "screw it I'm tired of eating scrambled egg whites for breakfast" and jumped in with both feet. He hasn't had a problem. I guess you have to make a risk assessment. No one in either one of our familes have food allergies, and we have been good about not introducing many other "allergy prone foods." I'm sure I did the wrong thing, but if you do cave you won't be the only one. He LOVES his scrambled eggs and they are sooo easy.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has had problems with them. I can't find any study that actually validates the choosing of the one year mark for many of these recommendations, only some of them. I wonder if they just say "one year" because it is easy. There is information about feeding before 4 months and diabetes.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

Mayan
11-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Yes, lots of foods have eggs in them.
So we also decided to go for it.
DH has egg for the first time yesterday. He is 3 weeks from one year so I figured it's OK. Made him a scrambled egg and he loved it!!! Ate 3/4 of a the whole egg!!!
No problem apparent...
My mother in law, who is a full time nanny says if their parents are not allergic and they are not allergic to other things, she always starts them on eggs before a year (at around 10 months).

Sarah1
11-17-2003, 03:18 PM
I waited a year...and she has had no problems w/any foods--just cautious b/c a good friend of mine's baby has an extremely serious egg allergy.

One other thing to avoid, you may know this already, but stay away from peanut butter. I gave her peanut butter on toast last week--figured it was fine after a year also--she threw up twice.

My ped recommended waiting 'til they are 2 to start peanut butter...which irritated me b/c in some of the literature their office gave me, it said to give peanut butter around 8-9 mos!

Momof3Labs
11-17-2003, 03:35 PM
We have no family history of food allergies, so our ped gave the okay to offer eggs at 9 months. Colin did fine with them, but I know of some babies who have egg allergies.

It is a risk, of course, but you have to weigh it and determine what is right for you. I always offered new, highly allergenic foods when DH was home (and would be home for the next 24 hours) since he is a paramedic!