PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early for me to purchase a breast pump?

hellokitty
11-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Well, I really want to BF, and have been doing a lot of research on it, and feel dedicated towards it (attending BF support mtgs too). I was just wondering, at what pt should I order a breast pump? Originally, I was just going to get the Avent Isis, b/c I will mostly be at home, although I may still pick up some hrs at work and going to grad school. Now, after thinking about it, and with this being baby #1 (we hope to have 2), I figure that investing in a medela PIS probably would not be a bad idea. I am due the middle of Feb, but with this being baby #1, my mom's hx of having babies at 37 wks and this pregnancy having it's shakey periods so far, I don't know if I will make it to 40 wks. There is no way I want to shell out retail price at BRU or through a local dealer at the last minute locally when I can get the same thing online for a more reasonable price. When would you suggest I order a breast pump? Is it too early to order one now? I figure even if I order it ahead of time, as long as I don't break the seal on anything, in case something should happen and I couldn't use it, that I would still be able to re-sell it. However, I hope that will not be the case! TIA!

C99
11-19-2003, 10:46 PM
I would just get the Avent Isis now and, if you find that you need a better pump like the PIS, shop around for the best price online after your baby arrives. I have both the Isis and the PIS and the only reason that I have the latter is because I had to work for the first 4 months of Nate's life and they had a deal on them through my husband's work. But now, if I need to pump, I use the Isis and not the PIS.

hellokitty
11-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks, that is a good pt. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-19-2003, 10:58 PM
Don't get it too soon because your warranty starts when you buy it, not when you open it.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hellokitty
11-20-2003, 11:37 AM
OK, thanks. I never thought about that, just thought that when I sent the registration card in, it started the warranty.

heidi_timms
11-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Things are different for everyone, but I bought my PIS before the baby came and I was glad I did! When my milk came in, I was so full, so it helped to pump the extra milk out. I also have the ISIS that was a hand me down from a family member that only breastfed for a few months, but I couldn't get it to work, so I've never used it. This is probably just a fluke though because the Isis is one of the most popular pumps out there!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

peanut4us
11-20-2003, 02:18 PM
We bought ours about 2 months before EDD. Which was great beacuse I was on bedrest for the last 2 months before I had her, and i was induced early.

Having a good pump made the difference of being able to bf or not for us. Sara got jaundice bad, and I had enough sense to start pumping at home before we could get her readmitted. Get the pump early.

hellokitty
11-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Thanks Heidi! That is my thought too, to have it avail so I can pump right away b/c I figure I will be really engorged and in case baby has probably latching on in the beginning.

hellokitty
11-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks for your input. I have a fear of delivering early or being put on bedrest (I was on bedrest temporarily at 23 wks for spotting and contractions, so feeling very uneasy, b/c I still occasionally spot for no reason), and that is one reason why I have gone ahead and gotten a lot of things finished, like the nursery, washed baby clothes and linens, bought our car seats, strollers, etc.. I think getting a pump 2 mo before my edd would be appropriate. I do not think anyone will be throwing me a baby shower, so I already went ahead and started getting things on my own when it's on sale off my registry. So, I am not counting on anyone getting me a BF pump before baby arrives. I'm just afraid that if I do not have a BF pump available, esp if baby arrives early, etc. that it will just make BFing even more challenging, on top of getting used to baby, etc..

heidi_timms
11-20-2003, 08:45 PM
You probably already did your research, but if not, fjroberts.com is a good place to get the PIS. Also, there was another place that was comparable, but I can't remember where. It was located in Canada.
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

hellokitty
11-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Thanks. :)