PDA

View Full Version : Meat at 6 months?

jd11365
11-21-2003, 09:31 PM
My ped was basically happy for me that I could give Kayla some pureed turkey at Thanksgiving. To be honest, I didn't plan on meats for a long time...we just started foods 2 weeks ago! Is this normal?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Momof3Labs
11-21-2003, 10:19 PM
We were encouraged to start meats at 8-9 months, after starting solids at 6 months. If you try it, I'd do a little this weekend and see how it goes (whether she likes it and whether she ends up with a tummyache from it). But there's no reason that you have to try it! Kayla won't know the difference.

C99
11-21-2003, 10:20 PM
I have no idea if it's normal or not, but I think it must be an "old school" thing because my mom (who is normally pretty even-headed about these things) thinks that we should give Nate turkey at Thanksgiving. I don't, since he's never had meat before and only has 6 teeth and can't chew it properly.

kaitlinsmommy
11-21-2003, 11:22 PM
It sounds a little early considering your daughter has only been eating solids a couple weeks. Kaitlin started meat at 9 months and loves it. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with giving Kayla a little if you want to, but you certainly don't have to.

Rachels
11-22-2003, 08:48 AM
Personally, I wouldn't have given meat at that age. It's harder to digest than simple fruits and veggies. Also, its main nutritional contribution is protein, which babies that young don't need to get from solids-- breastmilk or formula has what they need. And I was worried about the possibility of tainted meat. It was scary to me to think about a little baby's ability to fight off some of the nastier meat-borne bacterias, and since it was nutritionally unnecessary, I skipped it altogether until she was quite a bit older.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jd11365
11-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I think I'm just going to stick with the sweet potato and pumpkin dinner as planned... I actually thought about holding off on meats for as long as I could...growth hormones and all... I'm not trying to raise a vegetarian here...heaven knows that would be impossible in my house as we eat meat with almost every meal...just trying to make it as easy on her little belly as I can for as long as I can. Thanks for the advice...my ped is old school...sometimes I have to remember that.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

LisaMom2Allie
11-22-2003, 05:34 PM
Our ped said to wait until 9 months and then start w/ baby food meats.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

nathansmom
11-22-2003, 09:07 PM
We were told 8 months. The doctor said that was his one steady rule no meats before 8 months.

22tango
11-23-2003, 09:41 AM
I SOOO agree about the possibilites of tainted meat. I waited to do meats until Karenna could eat shredded or flaked meats like roasted chicken or baked fish. I'm avoiding any kind of deli meats or hamburgers since they have the greatest risk of bacteria!! Before that time, and even now, she was perfectly happy eating her TOFU cubes!!! That made me feel great as a Mom to know she was getting some good protein in a safe and baby-friendly source.