PDA

View Full Version : Popping off....

ethansmom
11-22-2003, 08:08 PM
DS has recently started to pop-off while nursing. Sometimes, he nurses for about 5-10 mins before first popping-off, other times, it's 5 seconds. How do I tell if he's really finished, or just distracted?

If he's not finished....it's irritating my nipple to have him pop on and off! What to do?

barbarhow
11-22-2003, 10:21 PM
DS loves to do this. It can be quite irritating especially when he does it multiple times. What I try to do is start out in a quiet place with as few distractions as possible. I used to be able to read a book, watch the news, surf the boards while bfing. No longer. If I try-he is popping off constantly. The oother thing that I do is after about 4 times of him popping off I end the session-cover up and give him a few minutes of a break. It seems when I let him back on he gets it-like get down to business or else....HTH
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

mharling
11-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Ugh, I hear you!! I agree with the suggestion to nurse in quiet surroundings and not try to do anything else. Other things to do are try to burp him or switch him back and forth between sides until he 'settles in'. With my ds, if he truly is hungry, he gets mad when I try to burp him or even lift him up to switch sides. If he nursed for 5 or 10 minutes before popping off and doesn't get angry when I lift him away, I figure he just wanted a snack. Otherwise, we keep going. Good luck!!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

houseof3boys
11-23-2003, 10:45 AM
Oh yeah, this is Ryan's thing too. It is no fun for mommy either. A quiet room seems to help a little bit, but any little noise from the house will get him distracted again (dog shaking his collar, someone mowing the lawn next door, any little peep). If he starts playing, I take him off and then when he is "really" hungry he will let me know and be more apt to eat instead of play.

Edited because I can't seem to put commas in when I type quickly!

stillplayswithbarbies
11-23-2003, 11:57 PM
at this age, assume he is distracted.

I nursed Logan at a bowling alley tonight. Talk about distractions! I call it "selling tickets" as in "Logan is selling tickets to show off mommy's boobies again" when she keeps popping off to look around, leaving me just hanging out for all to see. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03