PDA

View Full Version : Need Slow Flow Nipple

tbdw425
11-23-2003, 12:45 PM
H,

I have posted the same question to the Baby 411 site. To make a long story short, I can not produce enough breast milk for my baby. This is my second experience with insufficient supply and I have tried everything known to increase supply, with no avail.

Therefore, I am forced to supplement. I am using a supplementer (a device that attaches a bottle to your nipples via thin tubes using tape - very painful and cumbersome). The supplementer is not a long-term solution. Last time I ultimately gave up the supplementer after 6 weeks and then nursed when I feed and then gave bottle.

Problem with baby #2, he can not handle the bottle. He gags, chokes and cries. I have tried Advent, Johnnson/Munkin Helathfow and Haberman Feeding Tube. Nothing seems to work.

The supplementer is not a long term solution.

I am concerned b/c my son only takes 9-10 oz of fomula per day. At this stage (2.5 wks) my other son was taking 19-20 oz day. I do not think I am producing more breast milk this time given my pathetic pumping experience (.5-1oz per pump of both breasts via rented hospital grade pump), which is consistent with last experience.

Also have the problem, regardless how I try to feed new baby, he falls asleep very quickly. I have tried changing his clothes, diapers, tickling feet, using wash cloth to keep him awake, but he still dozes.

Questions:

1. Any suggetsions for slow flowing bottles/nipple?
2. Any secrets for keeping baby awake?

Thanks

Momof3Labs
11-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Is your baby gaining weight and producing enough wet/dirty diapers? Then he is getting enough! And he's probably only taking 9-10oz of formula because he gets a good amount of breastmilk from you!

Pumping is a horrible indicator of supply; many, many women find it hard to let down for the pump, plus the pump can't get nearly as much milk out of you as the baby can. In fact, .5-1oz is very normal at this stage! At this stage, the ONLY indicator of supply is baby's weight gain and diaper output.

Have you seen a lactation consultant? Not a hospital one - they are often of marginal quality - but an independent IBCLC. Or even a LLL leader. Honestly, as long as your baby is gaining weight and producing enough wet/dirty diapers, it sounds to me that (with the right guidance) you could exclusively breastfeed. So it just depends on how badly you want to do that, or if you are more comfortable with bottle feeding.

Rachels
11-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I totlly agree! Pumping is a terrible indicator of supply. It's pretty early to be trying to pump, anyway-- your body needs your baby to nurse to get your milk supply established. If you're interested in trying to breastfeed, call an LC today. It sounds like you've really gotten some bad advice. It's normal for babies to lose 10% of their body weight after birth, so even that doesn't indicate that you're not producing milk.

We've got a lot of knowledgeable breastfeeders here, and we'd love to help you. If you need someone to talk to, email me. If you need help finding an LC, we can help. I think Lori is right-- if you want to nurse, with the right support, you almost certainly can.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

peanut4us
11-23-2003, 04:28 PM
the only nipple that Sara can handle are the Evenflo slowflo nipples. Nothing else worked... you could give those a shot. You can find them at Target.

lisams
11-23-2003, 07:09 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I could NEVER pump more than 3 ounces (I've been trying for 12 months!!!), and I know that DD was getting more than enough since she was wetting enough diapers and gaining weight steadily. I guess some women's bodies just don't do well with a pump, or maybe I just needed to practice more (I hated pumping).

I found the best way to keep DD awake while nursing was to gently rub/tickle under her chin when she started drifting off.

Those frequent nursing sessions will up your supply. I have also read and been told many times that supplementing will cause your supply to go down. I bet a lactation consultant could really help you out. I hope things start improving for you guys! Good luck!

Lisa

JElaineB
11-23-2003, 10:48 PM
DS gagged on Avent nipples and I ended up using Parent's Choice slow flow silicone nipples from Wal-mart for the first 4-5 months. I used them with Evenflo 4 oz. bottles. He liked these nipples because they have a fairly wide base but a shorter "nipple" than some others so they did not go back too far in his mouth and gag him.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

tbdw425
11-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have worked with a LC with both kids. In each case, my sons lost quite a bit of weight, initially produced few diapers and had uric acid crystals in the diapers, all signs of not enough intake.

The good news at this point is I went today for a weight check and regardless how much formula DS is taking from the supplementer, he is now gaining nicely. At 20 days he is 8lbs. 13 oz. up from 8 lb. 1 oz at birth and 8lbs. 1 oz 8 days ago (between birth and 12 days he lost quite a bit of weight).

My continuing frustration is my inability to get the kid to stay awake while feeding, resulting in what feels like a constant feeding routine. I also have to lose the supplementer, it is just such a production, and is something, unlike bfeeding alone, one really can not set up and use in public. That means I still need to find a bottle that really works for my son.

All the Best,

Debbie