PDA

View Full Version : Veggies before Fruit

jd11365
11-23-2003, 09:15 PM
So am I supposed to go through all the veggies first before I start fruits? And by the time we introduce everything for 4 days each it could be months before we get back to where we've started. I must not be thinking correctly. What did you "veterans" do?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

JElaineB
11-23-2003, 10:37 PM
I interspersed fruits and veggies. I acutally gave pears as DS's first food, followed by rice cereal. I added in other fruits and veggies after that. DS loves veggies, more than fruit really, so at least for him it did not give him a "sweet tooth" to do it this way.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

stillplayswithbarbies
11-23-2003, 11:28 PM
I started with bananas. then sweet potatoes. I figure I have months before she is supposed to be getting nutrition from solids anyway, so there is plenty of time to do one new food every 4 days. (I'm actually starting new things on Saturday mornings, just for our convenience)

I figure breastmilk is way sweeter than the fruits anyway, so it doesn't matter what order I do fruits or veggies.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Momof3Labs
11-23-2003, 11:39 PM
I really think that the order doesn't matter much at all, and I haven't seen any research supporting the sweet tooth theory.

Do what works for you. We stopped the 3-5 day wait between introductions at the same time we started table foods - at about 8 months, after being on solids for 2 months. Of course, if Colin had an allergic reaction, we'd have to backtrack a few more steps, but without a family history of allergies, we were willing to accept the risk.

Oh, when you said "get back to where you started" - you can continue to feed her all of the foods that don't cause a reaction, just introduce the new foods one at a time.