PDA

View Full Version : Teething and not wanting to eat!!

lisams
11-24-2003, 02:12 PM
DD is 12 months, and is getting her molars in (I can actually feel the corners under the gum). For the last week she hasn't wanted to eat barely at all. Here are the things she will eat - applesauce, yogurt, cheese, oatmeal. I'm worried since she won't eat barely any veggies (I've even tried steaming them so they're very soft and adding butter to make them more tempting). Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get her to eat the veggies? I am nursing her so that makes me feel a little better. Is it noraml for them to lose their appetite while teething, or is this just a normal 1 year old thing?

Thanks for any help!!
Lisa

Rachels
11-24-2003, 02:17 PM
It's totally normal! It's great that she's nursing-- that's good nutritional insurance. Don't worry too much. She'll eat when she feels better. The stuff you said she's eating is really good for her, and she'll be okay with that. I'd keep offering a range of foods, but let her choose which ones she thinks will go down easily. Hang in there!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

luvbeinmama
11-24-2003, 07:54 PM
DD did the SAME THING last month!! She refused anything she had to chew. So I just gave her pureed stuff until her gums weren't so tender anymore. She was eating, just not "chewing". Just go back to the baby food for a little bit. Her poor gums are just so sore right now.

lisams
11-24-2003, 11:33 PM
Thank you Rachel and luvbeinmama for your advice and reassurance! I did actually give her a jar of pureed carrots tonight and she gobbled it up. I feel so bad because she'll pick up a piece of a carrot and look at it and then put it back down. It's like she wants to eat it, but she doesn't want to chew. Oh, the adventures of teeth!

Lisa