PDA

View Full Version : Under-producing breast question

dotgirl
11-24-2003, 05:36 PM
Ok, I have a question. We're bottle-feeding Riley expressed breastmilk, so I'm using my Medela Pump-In-Style about every 3-4 hours (except at night - I only pump during his middle of the night feeding if I'm sore/engorged. I usually am, though.)

Anyway! In a 20 minute session, I get 2-4oz from my right side. However, my left side is a big slacker, and I barely get 1oz per session. I've tried pumping 30 minutes, but I get very little extra, and it gets fairly sore. I don't have any plugged ducts, so I'm not sure what's up. Have any of you experienced an under-producing breast? DH thinks it's because I sleep on that side. But currently we sleep with Riley, so I can't exactly experiment with other sleep positions.

Thoughts?

Momof3Labs
11-24-2003, 08:34 PM
This is VERY common, even for moms who nurse full time - so common that it almost seems like the rule. Have you tried massage and compression while pumping? That usually helps me.

Oh, and if you are exclusively pumping, you might want to rent a hospital-grade pump - I've heard mixed opinions about whether you can exclusively pump with a PIS and maintain a good supply. A lactation consultant can advise you on this.