PDA

View Full Version : Rachel (Rachels) - question for you about Abigail and nutrition...

spu
11-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi Rachel,

I remember a while back, you mentioned increasing Abigail's fat/calorie intake and I was wondering why and what you did... I'm a little concerned about Charlotte's weight being low and thought maybe you could shed some light on what you learned and what worked for Abigail. I'm feeding them both healthy foods, but often times, that also means low calorie so I want to make sure that in addition to breastmilk, that any foods they eat are meaningful and nutrient dense and filled with the right kinds of fats.

thanks!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

Rachels
11-30-2003, 08:16 PM
:) Susan and I had a long conversation by phone today (which I enjoyed!), but if anyone else is wondering, there's an old post called "Advice From the Nutritionist" in this forum. I outlined all the stuff she had told me, along with her bazillion food suggestions. But the short answer is that I tried to be sure that whatever she ate was calorie-dense and full-fat, and then let her choose how much and how often. And we do a before-bedtime snack of something very calorie-dense, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

rl42382
02-25-2008, 12:34 AM
daughter #1 had majore reflux and poor weight gain when we whent from just nursing to includeing solid food she throw up after each meal and loast weight was 17lb around 18 months very small they put here on reflux meds and goe here a calorie and fat powder called duocal to add to all her foods and drinks. they say to add oil to foods and drinks i used butter and heavy cream in place of just oil and milk i gave full fat yo baby yogurt smmothies with duocal in her sippy cup the duocal worked great because she wouldnt take pediasure or carnation instent breakfast so duocal powder had no taste and didn't effect the texture or flavor so it bulked up the calories each scoup was 42 calories. you need a dr. to prescribe it also it is not give for babies but older babies i think my daughter was about 13 moths when they gave her it because her weight strated droping at about 10 1/2 months old and fatening foods wasent enough because she had no teeth and could n't even chew and had swollowing issues /sensory oral issues. she was full term and nursed fine so dont ask me why solid food introduction untill she was 2 was such a desaster. how ever she climed up the growth chart thanks to duocal it worked pretty fast with in a few moths of starting her on it.

Marisa6826
02-25-2008, 02:23 AM
This thread is several years old. It will be closed to prevent confusion. Please start a new one if you are interested in continuing the subject.

Thanks

-m