PDA

View Full Version : That tooth feels d*mn SHARP! I'm scared...

deborah_r
12-02-2003, 01:59 AM
I've been "poo-poo"ing all the people who say "well, you're going to stop BFing when he gets teeth, right?" but now that I've felt that tooth today with my finger, I'm scared!! It's a sharp little thing. My nipples are shrinking in fear...how soon before he bites me???

barbarhow
12-02-2003, 08:10 AM
Oh its definately a countdown. Join us in the ranks. The advice I have gotten here has been invaluable. First of all-when he bites-don't scream. HA! That was one of the more ridiculous notions but...it's true. They like a reaction. So if you can bear it don't scream. Either get your finger in there to break the latch or press his little face into you breast- Then look him in the eye, say "Oh. You hurt Mommy" and put the boob away. It is amazing how fast they can learn. Jack still occasionally bites and not to scare you but he sometimes even draws blood. They are sharp and it does hurt but I've been nursing Jack with teeth as long as Jack without teeth-I have no plan to give up anytime soon. HTH.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Rachels
12-02-2003, 09:20 AM
Abby just cut her fifth tooth, and we've only had one real bite (while she was falling asleep). I was fearful, too, but you definitely don't need to stop nursing.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Jen in Chicago
12-02-2003, 09:29 AM
All I can offer is sympathy. It will hurt. Blood can be drawn. Ice packs were great. Jude did not mine if I iced up before feeding a bit to num myself. He weaned himself when teeth 3 and 4 were coming in, they appeared on the same day.

momma_boo
12-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Just letting you know that I'm with you...
DD's first tooth emerged about 4 weeks ago and number 2 followed 2 weeks later. So far I haven't been bitten, but I'm just waiting for it to happen. She did go through a phase (pre-teeth) when she bit me with her gums. Perhaps it wasn't too exciting so she won't do it again (yeah right!).

Mom2Miri
12-02-2003, 02:22 PM
It wasn't that bad when my DD only had 2 teeth on the bottom. But when the top 4 came in...ouch! We went thru a period where I misread her occasionally and tried to feed her when she wasn't hungry. She decided that biting me was the best way to tell me she wasn't hungry!

What everyone else said is true...she bites, we stop. It's mostly worked for us but there is still the occasional bite. Good luck!

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

Bethann31
12-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Katherine got her two bottom teeth on Halloween and I've been bitten several times, but it's usually when she is trying to go to sleep and forgets it is me not her pacifier, or when she is nursing in the middle of the night and seems to do it on accident. It does hurt like heck and you don't want to wake the household by screaming.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

alkagift
12-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Well, don't be scared, he may not! My DS did about 10 days ago, right when he was first getting sick; it turned into an ear infection and THAT'S why he bit me--because eating hurt! I have to say that I had no presence of mind to push his face into my breast to get him to let go. I yelled. He looked at me and cried, which broke my heart. Luckily, though, the next round went ok and he doesn't seem to remember the situation.

I have to admit I'm not looking forward to the top teeth coming in since there's no tongue to get between them and me!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

votre_ami03
12-02-2003, 04:21 PM
We have one tooth that has broke through the gum, but nothing further. I am laughing & in fear at the same time here. :)

Thanks for the tips on how to handle this!

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

luvbeinmama
12-02-2003, 05:41 PM
DS bit me the first time when the first 4 teeth were in. I yelled, pulled him off, deposited him crying in the middle of the floor and sat back in my rocker cradling my breast. He didn't bite much after that. But the weaning soon followed!

lizajane
12-02-2003, 09:06 PM
i got my first real bite a night or two ago. he was asleep after a meal. he has three teeth. but lemme tell ya... it was NUTHIN' compared to the sheer hell i endured during the first heinous four weeks of breastfeeding. i would let him bite me every day before i would want to go through the first six weeks of soreness again! so, even with a big bite, i didn't think it was so bad.

lisams
12-02-2003, 11:22 PM
DD has had teeth since 3 1/2 months and has only bitten me once. I was so shocked I yelped, which scared the daylights out of her leading to her sobbing. I felt bad for both of us. She has never bitten since then (she's 12 months now).

Lisa

s7714
12-03-2003, 10:19 PM
DD's first tooth has finally gotten above the gum...I had the same feeling this morning when I felt it. Thoughts of both joy and terror crossed my mind within seconds! I can actually feel it now when she is nursing, and it isn't even fully in yet, which scares me a little. But, the same as with labor, the fear of the unknown can make pain can worse, so I guess we just have to try not to be afraid...right? :)

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

peanut4us
12-04-2003, 11:17 AM
I've found that when she is teething, she gets sloppy in her latch, and no matter how many times I make her re-latch, she doesn't do better. I am guessing that it hurts to latch on properly?? In any case about a week after the tooth comes through the surface, she goes back to a good latch. So the pain is less. She tends to be more "bitey" when they are trying to push through. Not helpful to you probably, but you might have the same pattern. If I know it's bad, I'll give her motrin... that really seems to help!