PDA

View Full Version : PIS or Isis question again!

BabyBoo
12-05-2003, 06:16 PM
I have read all the previous posts on the Isis and PIS. But I am still debating about purchasing the PIS or the Isis. I will be a SAHM, but would like to build up a stash of EBM in the freezer for outtings and so that my husband can also help feed the baby. I'm pretty modest so I don't think I would be comfortable BF in public.

I know the price differential is huge but I also already have wrist problems. So the question is: Should I splurge for the PIS or is the initial $50 for an Isis a good route to go? I'm just afraid it will make my wrists worse since it is manual and waste $50 in the process. We will have to budget as I will be staying home.

TIA

lizajane
12-05-2003, 11:23 PM
i don't have wrist trouble like you do, so perhaps i can't fully understand your situation. but i would say go with the isis. i use it every night and i have a great freezer stash. (i skipped a few nights because i am running out of room... and i had to skip a LOT of nights due to teething night waking!) it is VERY easy to operate. doesn't require any "muscle" to work. i have never used an electric, so i don't know if they are worth the money. but i have never had trouble getting what i need with the isis (as a SAHM who doesn't use many bottles but wants them around just in case.)

hellokitty1
12-05-2003, 11:52 PM
I used a PIS (borrowed from friend) and then I bought an ISIS. If I were in your situation, I would get the ISIS and try that first. It really is easy to use and the investment is very little compared to the PIS. Even if you find that you don't like to use the ISIS as often as you'd like to pump, you can get the PIS and I think you'll find that you'll still want to use the ISIS from time to time. I like to use the ISIS quite often bc there are time sI just don't feel like setting up the PIS. At night, I'll put the ISIS on my night stand so if DD sleeps in late, I can just pumpo right in bed without having to pull out the PIS. I also use the ISIS in the car (not driving; well, once but...) like if DH and I want to go out but I need to pump, I can just do it on our way to our destination. Even if I had a car adapter for the PIS, the ISIS is stil just plain easier.

Ok, probably TMI but HTH.

annex
12-06-2003, 12:55 AM
I would try the Isis first, too. I use the free Ameda manual pump that the hospital gave me to pump enough for the three or so (generally 2 ounce) bottles my DD takes while I work a few hours on the weekends. I can get enough in one or two 10-15 minute pumping sessions per week for this purpose, so it's very little work on my hands/wrists. I would also add that there is less strain in manual pumping than I initially thought. I thought you were supposed to squeeze and release it every couple seconds, when in reality after a few rapid strokes, slowing down the strokes works best to get the letdown going.

Anne

jd11365
12-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Definitely the Isis...it's so fast, easy and comfortable. BTW...I never thought I would BF in public and now I'm a pro...it's amazing what you will do when the baby is hungry and you are out and about. And once you do it, it's been done...so you end up doing it again. Now I could honestly care less what anyone thinks as I BF in public and I'm so discreet anyway, noone would be the wiser. Good luck!

Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

stillplayswithbarbies
12-06-2003, 01:31 PM
You probably should find a way to look at the Isis before you get it to make sure the repititive motion would not make your wrist worse.

There is no way to be "hands free" with the Isis, and that may be important to you with your wrist problems. The actual pumping of the handle itself is not a wrist motion, it's all in the hand and fingers. But the position may affect you.

You might be able to tell how it works by looking at the Tips and Faqs on the webpage:

http://www.aventamerica.com/products/products_breastpump.asp

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Momof3Labs
12-06-2003, 05:11 PM
How about buying one Whisperwear pump? It is about $100, and hands-free. I haven't tried it and can't vouch for it, but it would definitely be kinder to your wrists than the PIS or the Isis!

www.whisperwear.com

BabyBoo
12-07-2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks for your opinions everyone! The Right Start is closing near us and they have 10% off the entire store right now so I may go and pick one up after I go take a peek at the Whisperwear.

heidi_timms
12-07-2003, 02:34 AM
The whisperwear has had some negative reviews. Some haven't been able to get milk out using it or have been able to only get very little. I would search for more reviews before buying it. I think that the ISIS and the PIS have better track records.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

BabyBoo
12-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the head up on the Whisperwear. I just went out this morning to Toys R Us and bought the Avent Isis on the Go. It's $59.99 but I received a 20% off coupon for any one item from the newspaper this morning and decided to take advantage of this deal. So it comes out to just under $52 including tax.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.