PDA

View Full Version : Please help! He won't nurse!!!

todzwife
12-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Everything was fine until he had those 2 month shots! What happened? He is so upset and cries at the breast. I only got him to nurse for 10 minutes TOTAL today! I got 1/2 oz of EBM into him and 1/2 oz of pedalyte and 1/2 oz of chamomille tea into him so he won' get dehydrated, but he won't nurse! I have been struggling with him and even called the LC on base who just said to keep giving him pedialyte (by dropper) and "don't give up"! I am incredibly tired (he slept for 20 minutes at a time all night) and so sad that something is WRONG! I even took him to the Ped, but he said he was fine just full of gas! He is just screaming and screaming! This is sooo not like him either! Heeeelp! :(

barbarhow
12-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Shandelle-I wish I had an answer for you. I am so sorry your little one is so sick. You must be exhausted. Have you tried the Mylicon drops for the gas? Poor little one. I hope someone else can give you better advice. Hang in there. And if he looks like he is getting dehydrated or if your instincts are telling you that it is more than gas-listen to them and take him back to the ped.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

egoldber
12-11-2003, 08:25 PM
It could be a reaction to the shots, but he could have also picked up a bug at the ped's office.

Hope he gets better soon!

deborah_r
12-12-2003, 02:03 AM
I wish I knew some way to help...but I don't. I think I have read to try elevating the crib mattress on the end where his head is to relieve gas? Maybe I'm wrong, it's late and I'm tired. But I would think the gas could be making him cry, so not sure why the doc said he was "just full of gas".

hope it gets better soon for you two!!

heidi_timms
12-12-2003, 03:00 AM
Many babies have a reaction to shots. Our ped told me to watch for this. I would call the ped's office and let them know that your baby had a reaction. They may suggest a little bit of baby tylenol or something to ease the pain.

A friend told me that the nurse at her ped's office suggested a bit of tylenol 20 minutes before getting a round of shots blocks the pain beforehand. I would talk to your ped about it though.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

momma_boo
12-12-2003, 09:21 AM
I know that after getting the round of shots, DD's legs will be sore. She cries when we hold her a certain way, putting pressure on her legs where she got the shots. When we know this is causing a problem, we've given her tylenol which has helped.

I hope the poor guy is doing better today.

KGoes
12-12-2003, 09:45 AM
I hope he's doing better! I wish I had something to say that would fix everything. DD did get incredibly sore legs with her 2 months shots (although not at all with her 4 months shots) and I kept up the infant Tylenol for 2 days. Every time she stretched or straightened them out, she screamed.
Hugs.
Kelley
DD born 7/03

stillplayswithbarbies
12-12-2003, 11:15 AM
This is how Logan was too. She would wake up all happy and relaxed and stretch and suddenly cry.

I had to be careful how I held her to nurse so I didn't hurt her legs, and the tylenol helped relieve her pain.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

calebsmama03
12-12-2003, 11:16 AM
You poor thing! My DS also just screamed for hours after his 2 month shots. On the shot info page the doc gave us it actually described this as a potential "rare side effect" - inconsolable crying. I"d try the Mylicon since it can't hurt things and try other gas measures (lying him on his tummy across your lap, doing "bicycles" with his legs, massaging his belly) to see if it IS gas, but I'd also give some baby Tylenol. That helped to take the edge of DS's screaming, but he was still not a happy camper. Also DEFINITELY tell your ped that he had this reaction. I *think* this was a s/e of the DTaP specifically and they will want to watch for it with the next round. I'll agree with the previous poster who said that the 4 mos ones weren't as bad though.
Hang in there!
Hugs
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

todzwife
12-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks. He seems to be doing better. He slept for 6 hours straight and is now marathon nursing. I defenitely will watch for this next time.

mharling
12-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Definitely check with your ped first. I do give Tylenol to ds prior to shots, but they need to take his temperature first. If he has a fever they won't give the shots and Tylenol would mask the fever. I give it to ds after they take his temperature, but before the shot.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!