PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about dairy allergies in breastfed babies.

slknight
12-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Alex has had chronic ear infections for several months now, and we're on our fifth course of antibiotics. He has also been diagnosed with asthma. I read that there is a link between dairy allergies and chronic ear infections in older children. I asked my doctor about a month ago whether or not he could be allergic to dairy that I'm eating. She didn't think that was the case.

But we saw a different doctor today (about something non-related), and when I explained all the problems we'd been having, she asked me what he could be allergic to. The first thing she mentioned was dairy in my diet, and suggested I try to eliminate it for a few weeks and see if that helped the situation. We're seeing an ENT tomorrow, and I'm going to ask him about the possibility.

Does anyone know how early they do allergy testing on infants? Also, does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not dairy in my diet could be contributing? I did a search and read some older threads, but didn't find anything concrete.

Thanks so much,
Susan and Alex (04.18.03)

sntm
12-18-2003, 02:18 PM
don't have any personal experience but am reading "baby matters" now which discuuses that. might be good place to look.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

mom2kandj
12-18-2003, 07:03 PM
DD was scratch tested for allergies at FOUR months and is allergic to dairy, eggs, oranges, cats, dogs, horses and blue dye!

I would ask your ped for a referral to pediatric allergist due to your son's diagnosis of asthma and your concerns about the allergies.

My ped normally takes a wait and see attitude regarding allergies, but DD presented with a severe case of eczema on her hands and feet. We also have a history of allergies, eczema, and asthma on both sides of the family that prompted him to make the referral even before we started solids. (FWIW, DD was BF until 9 months and then went to soy formula.) When I was nursing DD, I did cut my dairy intake dramatically so as to lessen the stress on her body. For her, the allergies make her itchy and cause her eczema to flare. She has also been diagnosed as mildy asthmatic!

As for DS, he has remained free and clear from all three to a point. He does show a dairy allergy, but because he eats so little dairy(the kids are eating soy everything!) I've been dragging my feet on getting him tested. Because he wasn't presenting with any other symptoms or conditions, our ped has chosen not to refer him to the pediatric allergist. Instead of doing a scratch test (not recommended on a high spirited toddler), I will eventually take him in for a blood draw. Our ped does a routine blood draw at 18 months and will just have the lab run a RAST (?) test done on that blood. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

slknight
12-19-2003, 08:23 PM
We saw the ENT today, and he pretty much poo-poo'd my idea and wants to schedule tubes right away. I'm not quite sure what to do. I may still ask for an allergy referral anyway. DH and I both have quite a few allergies, and I am concerned about the asthma.

I'll keep my eyes out for that book, but my local Borders doesn't have it, and neither does my library. I might have to order it online.

Susan and Alex (04.18.03)