PDA

View Full Version : What are the best spoons/bowls?

farsk
12-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Hello Everyone!

As many of you know, Ellen will be starting solids soon (I must admit, I will be a little sad...my little girl is all grown up!) and I was wondering what you regarded as the best spoons and bowls for starting solids.

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
12-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Bowls don't matter too much since you are just holding it in your hands for now. We use little Tupperware bowls. I would recommend something small since portions are small for now.

For spoons, we LOVE LOVE LOVE the Baby Bjorn long handle spoons. They are a little pricey, but the shape is so nice, and the bowl is thin and flexible, making it easy to scrape up the last few spoonfuls from a jar or bowl. These are the spoons:

http://infant-feeding.babycatalog.com/toddler-feeding-and-dishware/feeding-spoons/770004.html

C99
12-27-2003, 12:00 PM
We used some Sassy long-handled spoons with a comfort grip and a gel-like spoon part. Also, The First Years' Take n Toss long-handled spoons work well, too.

amp
12-27-2003, 12:33 PM
We are currently using both Gerber and The First Years spoons with the colored silicone spoon tips. Jake likes those just fine, but loves to chew on them as much as eat off of them! We are using a variety of bowls, but we mostly use The First Years Take & Toss bowls, which easily go in the dishwasher and can be tossed or lost if necessary, since they are designed for that and are affordable.

lizamann
12-27-2003, 02:26 PM
We use regular old spoons here. Usually the teaspoons, but my poor deprived dd can handle a tablespoon just fine if need be. I love handing them to her and letting her bring it to her mouth! I might break down and buy her some "proper" baby gear sometime soon, though, just for appearances' sake. Is there an advantage to baby spoons that I am missing?

Sarah1
12-27-2003, 04:46 PM
I LOVE the Gerber spoons with the silicone tips. They worked great for us--DD is 13 mos now and that's STILL what I am using...need to move on to "toddler" spoons now, I guess!

jubilee
12-27-2003, 07:41 PM
I really like the Babies R Us/Toys R Us brand. The spoons have a nubby grip, which is great to help not drop it. The bowls and plates have a rim that also has the nubby grip. I have 6 spoons and 5 bowls, and probably need to get a few more of each since we only run the dishwasher every other day.

peanut4us
12-27-2003, 10:01 PM
currently we use pyrex ramekins for her cereals etc. But that's gotta change really soon since she's getting grabby ;) However we really like the Munchin spoons... they do have the "color-changing" stuff for temp... which I think is SO unnecessary. But the actual shape and softness of the tips is great for her... and she doesn't hurt herself.

Enjoy this next phase... it's a wild ride.

zen_bliss
12-28-2003, 03:05 AM
another vote for the baby bjorn spoons! i never thought spoons would matter, but the flexi tips make it much easier in the early feeding days to get the food IN her mouth while she learns to use her lips to 'scoop' it out of the spoon. and it makes getting the last bits out of the bowl or jar easy.

for bowls, i like the melamine plates with several compartments : one for a new food, an already tried flavor, and some cereal. the free noah's ark set from parents magazine has been getting lots of use. i let her play with the bowl while i use the plate.