PDA

View Full Version : different solids ideas for a 9 month old

lizajane
12-31-2003, 11:36 AM
anyone have any remarks about these foods for a 9 month old? i got a few new thing to try:
already done-
rice cereal
avacado
carrots (maybe a runny nose?)
sweet potatoes
pears
apples (diaper rash)
cheerios

have, but haven't tried:
potato (white)
broccoli
cantaloupe
mango
banana (gave him a diaper rash several months ago, ready to re-try)
yellow squash
zucchini
green beans
yo-baby
oatmeal cereal

and i am thinking about spinach??????

i make it all myself by steaming and then using the food processor. but we will go to chunky puree and tiny bites, soon.

edited to add oatmeal cereal and to spell cheerios correctly!

nitaghei
12-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Neel's had everything but broccoli on that list. He LOVED mango. He likes all kinds of squash. Try the winter sqashes that are in season - butternut and acorn. Potatoes and green beans are good. Spinach is okay. Yo-baby is an all time favorite.

Just taste the fruit and veggies before you give it to him. Anytime DS rejected home-made food, it was because of the taste (e.g., less than ripe mango).

Another suggestion - tofu? If there are no soy allergies?

We just moved to finger foods - he will NOT let anyone feed him anymore. SIGH. Just when I had the mushed up food thing down.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

natividad
12-31-2003, 03:32 PM
Alexander just turned 10 months and we have tried everything on your list except zucchini and spinach. We were doing great with solids, but ever since DS got his first ear infection a month and a half ago, he has not been real crazy about solids and has turned very picky. One thing I have done is just to jump to real table food - what I mean by that is that I just feed him whatever we are eating, period. Of course, I don't give him the things he is NOT supposed to have yet, like dairy and such. I do find that he enjoys solids much better with more flavor in it. I go easy on the seasonings and spices however. I have introduced him to butter and extra virgin olive oil believe it or not and we have had no problems. I have given him buttered toast and mashed potatoes with a little bit of olive oil in it. I don't know people would agree with me, but he definitely likes his food with just a little bit more flavor and besides, that is the only way he would eat some solids. I don't feed him outside table food, however -- everything is home made. Alexander really like broccoli. I give him just the florets mashed with again a little bit of olive oil. Another thing we have tried is real pasta and that has been a huge hit. We only use Barrilla pasta with Ragu Robusto pasta sauce. After I mix in the sauce I just cut up the pasta into tiny pieces for Alexander and voila! HTH.

Naty,
Mommy to Alexander

Momof3Labs
12-31-2003, 03:38 PM
You might try finger foods, too. Colin started them at 8 months and LOVED them. Rice Krispies, Cheerios and Kix all are good starter finger foods - depending on the allergens that you have to watch for.

Also, how about peas and peaches?

(Whoops - just saw Cheerios on your list, I read that as cherries the first time through!)

cinrein
12-31-2003, 03:45 PM
It sounds good to me. Anna is 10 1/2 months and we've tried all the food on your lists except cantaloupe (I forgot it existed). We also tried:

Barley cereal
Oatmeal cereal
Multigrain cereal (her favorite cereal)
Egg yolk (not a winner)
Kiwi
Cheese (a big favorite)
Cottage Cheese
Seedless Grapes chopped up into little pieces
Rice
Orzo
Toast
Pancakes made without eggs
Winter squash
Parsnips

We didn't introduce wheat until just a few weeks ago. If Mr. Baby is handling the Cheerios OK, then you can probably try the chunkier foods.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

KMommie
12-31-2003, 04:01 PM
I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to say WHEW! I'm so glad to see that someone else had reactions to bananas and apples! My ped didn't believe me when I said I thought DD's diaper rash came from bananas and then the apples. He said it was "highly unlikely". Hmmph! I just tried the bananas again and same result, poor Kiki has never had this much rash! I feel so bad that I put her through this AGAIN. I didn't wait months, just a few weeks.

Your list gives me lots of ideas to go through, next. After the rash clears up! Thanks!!!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

MartiesMom2B
12-31-2003, 05:03 PM
Martie hated broccoli. I pureed it with regular mashed potato put breast milk in it and she still hated. I tried to mix with sweet potato and she's only take it when it was a 3-1 sweet potato to broccoli mix.

I haven't done mangos or avacado yet though because they aren't in season and I haven't done zuchinni either. I tried spinach with mashed potato and she wasn't a big fan either.

My child hates green vegetables except for Earth's Bests peas.

We tried cheese yesterday and she threw up.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

agomalley
12-31-2003, 09:30 PM
One of our favorites is Papaya! DS loves it. It tastes a bit like cantaloupe and has tons of vitamin C!

Anabelle and Ryan 4/9/03

lizajane
01-01-2004, 08:02 PM
well we did broccoli yesterday and today with no ill effects so far!! i only gave him a tbls in hopes of avoiding any gas issues. so far so good!

i also snuck in some oatmeal cereal today since i am running out of rice cereal and have a whole box of oatmeal. technically, he has had it before with only a bad gas reaction. but that was 3 months ago. today, he did fine with 1 tbls. i will go for 2 tbls tomorrow. but i knew i was being a rebel, giving him a semi-new food (oatmeal) on day 2 of another new food (broccoli.)

he did make a funny face or two with the broc. but he did eat it.

and i was bad again today- when i was dicing cantaloupe for later use, i gave him a few bites. he was curious.

pears still top the list of favs, with lots of laughing and arm flapping when they arrive.

i am having SUCH a hard time waiting to give him new foods! i may have to go with a 3 day wait instead of 4 because i am SO excited!! i have ready in the freezer: mashed potato, yellow squash, zucchini, green beans and yo baby in the fridge. also, a banana and mango ripening. i want to give him new food at every meal not every 4 days!!! chomping at the bit over here... but i will be careful, since he had past issues.