PDA

View Full Version : any contraindications to Chinese persimmons?

sntm
01-01-2004, 09:34 PM
It's a bit more unusual so I can't find any info on reasons why it might not be good for him. Just being cautious. We got one at Whole Foods the other day to taste it and it is wonderfully soft and mild and sweet. Although I feel like I shouldn't waste time introducing a food we won't have available a lot, since now we have only carrots, pears, rice cereal and oatmeal. Avocado was not a big hit and peaches, well...

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35dc13cc44d&notag=1

edited to correct the link (new to shutterfly!)

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

mharling
01-01-2004, 11:35 PM
The pics ask for an e-mail address too. :( You can get around that by 'sharing' the pics through Shutterfly and it will give you a new link.

Sorry, but I can't help you with Chinese persimmons. Though it does sound yummy! And I want to see the peach pictures! :)

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03

houseof3boys
01-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Gotta love that face! Don't think that will be Jack's new avatar....

McQ
01-02-2004, 09:31 AM
I can't believe how much Jack has grown!!! The avatars are so tiny that it never completely shows off the kiddos. Thanks for sharing!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

chrissyhowie
01-02-2004, 11:25 AM
There are two major kinds of persimmons -- those that are astringent and need to be super mushy before eating, and those that are non-astringent. Usually the non-astringent ones are smaller, about the size of a tangerine, and are firm. These you slice and eat when they are crisp like apples.

It sounds like you have one of the other type. These are usually larger, about the size of a smallish bell pepper. They start off firm and then soften as they ripen. When they are unripe, boy are they astringent x(! So make sure they are nice and mushy before you eat them -- then they are sweet and delicious! You just break the skin and then suck the fruit out!

Chloe has eaten both types without incident. She loves them, especially the soft ones. The soft kind I just put to her mouth and let her gum what she wants. Kind of messy -- Jack'll look kind of like the peach picture (but hopefully with a smile instead!). There are also some chunks within the fruit that can be cut up and given in small pieces. Enjoy!

jojo2324
01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
LOL, Shannon, Gannon never took to peaches. And they were HORRIFIC on the other end. So I ended that relationship quickly. Jack is such a cutie!!!

Oops, Chrissy, not Chloe! Congratulations, I didn't know you had another one on the way!! Hope you're feeling great!! :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Congrats!!!! Am I just now seeing this big news in your signature or did you announce this where I missed it!!!! If so I apologize, I didn't know...what wonderful news!!!!!

How exciting!!!!

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Rachels
01-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Woohoo! Congrats, Chrissy! Shannon, Jack looks just like you (well, if you were very small and distressed about peaches). :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

barbarhow
01-02-2004, 01:04 PM
My Jack gave that same face to winter squash! How funny!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03