PDA

View Full Version : Avent Variable Flow nipples? Intro to sippy cups??

SASM
01-02-2004, 07:03 PM
I am just curious what others have thought about these nipples. They seem too good to be true ~ a 3-in-1 nipple!

Our initial goal, at 3 months of age, was to skip the wean to a sippy cup and go straight for a regular cup ~ HAHA!! Since 3 mo, we have tried regular cups but, I guess, Ian just doesn't drink from a bottle/cup often enough to get the hang of it. We have used Avent bottles all along with a newborn nipple due to his being BF. Approximately 2 months ago (~9 mo) we caved and started the introduction to sippy cups. We have tried a Tommee Tippy (with and without valve), a Magic Cup (with the Magic cup bottom and a regular Avent bottle as a bottom), and a plain old Especially for Kids (BRU) sippy cup that is not spill-proof ~ no luck with any.

So...I am now thinking that we will get some faster flowing nipples to adjust him to a faster flow and then retry the above sippys. What do you think? Any other suggestions? That is why I am curious about the Variable Flow nipples ~ I'd hate to buy a package each of 2-, 3-, and 4-hole nipples if he'll possibly only be using them for a short amount of time.

Thank you (I hope.).

Momof3Labs
01-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Sharyn, try the First Years take n toss sippy cups. They have no valve, and are easier to get stuff out of. If you use a regular sippy with no valve, stuff just pours out of it, and if you use a valve it is hard to get stuff out of it. The take n toss cups are kind of a happy medium.

It seems like a lot of babies start on these with good success, and they are cheap, too! Colin still uses these a lot.

SASM
01-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks, Lori! I will check them out. They kind of sound like the Especially for Baby ones but I know that the price is right :)

Side note: I haven't been on here in a while and am just noticing Colin's picture. Quite a big boy ~ so handsome!!

Momof3Labs
01-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Thank you!! That's an old picture; probably 5 months old. I need to find a newer one to put up but nowadays so many pictures are of the back of his head...

SASM
01-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Ha ha!! I can relate! :)

jubilee
01-06-2004, 02:45 AM
Maybe I can't figure these out, but my DS always chokes to death when using the variable flow. But if I use the #2 or #3, he is fine.

DDowning
01-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Same effect here for my DS. My first reaction is to grab a #2 or, if I'm in a hurry, #3. We try the variable flow and look out, its a flood and there's some choking involved. I especially have to make sure that there's a #2 for when DH puts him to sleep at night - a #2 makes him tired more and makes it easier for the tyke to go down.

fhernandez
01-07-2004, 12:06 PM
We tried the Avent variable flow nipples when my DD was younger and it was a disaster. My husband thought it was a wonderful idea so he bought a pack of 2. My DD choked on the flow and the nipples leaked. Eventually I just tossed them in favor of the numbered nipples. Save your money.

SASM
01-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Thank you so much, girls!! LOVE the feedback! I actually caved and tried them out. Ian is doing *okay* on "I" and we'll try this for a few more days and HOPE for a successful switch to "II".