PDA

View Full Version : solids question

Xariklia
01-06-2004, 11:53 AM
do you have to go through all the cereals first before moving on to fruits and vegetables? My ped told me to finish the box of cereal before going on to the next cereal. so if I do rice, oatmeal, and barley, it will be like 3 months before I try fruits and veggies. does that sound right? I'm confused. my dd is 6 months and eating oatmeal twice a day. she started rice cereal at 5 months.

amp
01-06-2004, 12:30 PM
I can't speak to your ped's reasoning, but we did not wait till we finished a box of cereal before moving on the the next one. We also did not wait until we did all cereals first before introducing fruit. I think we did rice, then oat, then applesauce, then a couple of other fruits or veg and then barley. We still have not done mixed cereal, but I think we will try that soon too.

sunny2003
01-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi there - no, don't think you have to wait to finish all of cereal. Once dd had rice cereal and oatmeal and did not have any reactions (after a week or so), we went on to orange veggies, then green veggies, then fruit. She quickly went on to 3 solids a day. HTH!

JenaW
01-06-2004, 10:33 PM
We did pretty much the same thing...started with rice cereal, then added orange veggies and fruits soon after. I did not finish the box of rice cereal first(in fact, we started cereal aaround 5 months, and I JUST finished the rice box today). Nor did I go through all the veggies first. I just made sure I waited 3-4 days before adding any new foods to check for reactions. Cna you imagine eating nothing but rice cereal for months...or the same fruit day after day after day. I wonder why your pedi suggested that.....I think I would ask them next time. Oh, we started oatmeal after my son became super constipated a few weeks after starting solids. Now, I alternate between the two.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

deborah_r
01-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Sounds like very conservative advice to me. Some people don't even start with cereals.

I would say use your own judgement. Personally I can't imagine feeding one whole box of cereal before going on to another, but it's really up to you!

vikivoly
01-07-2004, 12:39 AM
I agree with the others. I went through all the cereals before starting fruits and veggies, but I didn't wait until DD ate the entire box before switching. I think I tried one type for a week, then tried another for a week and so on.