PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about solids - Book reccomendations??

new_mommy25
01-07-2004, 11:06 PM
It's still a few months away but I'd like to be prepared. What kind of reading would be helpful? Right now I have Dr. Sears birth to 3, and What to expect the first year. They talk about solids briefly but I'd like something more in depth. Thanks :)

heidi_timms
01-08-2004, 04:13 AM
Honestly I would check out several at the library. I have a whole pile of books at home and no time to read them. My library is ever-growing! I haven't found a perfect feeding book yet. I tried reading Child of Mine: Feeding with love and good sense, but I lost interest in the first chapters. I read a little bit of Super Baby Food and some of her advice was good in the first few chapters, but then other advice seemed off-like feeding nuts to an eight-month old.
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

stillplayswithbarbies
01-08-2004, 11:06 AM
I read them all and the one I found most useful is Whole Foods for Babies and Toddlers by Margaret Kenda.

I did find Child of Mine useful for her opinions about feeding in general, especially the concept that the parent is responsible for making the food available but the child is responsible for when and how much they eat.

Super Baby Food is a good reference, but it is outdated, so I am not sure I trust the section that talks about when it is okay to feed each food.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Karenn
01-08-2004, 12:36 PM
I agree with Karen's thoughts about Child of Mine and Super Baby food. I haven't read Kenda's book.

In terms of Child of Mine, I've heard a lot of people say they get bogged down in those first few chapters. Honestly, I skipped all the beginning parts and went straight to the chapter on starting solid foods and that worked fine for me. She actually gives a brief overview of starting solids towards the beginning of that chapter because she realizes that many parents just want to get down to business. :)

amp
01-08-2004, 03:21 PM
I bought two books, neither of which really spoke to any kind of theory or anything. I just wanted a guide as to what to introduce first and when, as well as some ideas of what babies like if I made my own at any point. I perused them, took the info I needed and have only referred to them once or twice since then. I am sure I will refer to them in the future, but really, I got suggestions here on how and what to start, and then I just followed his cues from there. We have found that what works for one person, may or may not work for us and we try not to sweat it too much. I felt really baffled to start, but once we got going, we just winged it, and it's worked out fine.

I agree that checking out a couple of books at the library would be helpful in determining which would help to guide you the most. Or, spend some time sitting in the bookstore comparing them before you buy. Do a search here on starting solids and you'll get lots of good info too. Then, follow your child's lead once you get started. It's easier, and so much less daunting than it seems once you get going. Good luck and happy feeding!

new_mommy25
01-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks all for replying :) I was actually going to get the books at the library anyway. We have a great library downtown and it gets really expensive buying so many baby books. I've actually had good luck finding books at consignment stores and even Value Village though. I also have a Borders gift card from Christmas that I'll probably use to buy the books I find most helpful.