PDA

View Full Version : Temper Temper Temper!

SeekerMage
01-08-2004, 03:15 AM
Well my little pissy face has decided now that she doesnt want to nurse at all! Since monday the minute she gets any where near my breast she screams her head off...bloody murder red in the face holding her breath and everything kinda scream until I calm her down and give her a bottle. I have tried pumping a little before hand, tempting her with milk on the nipple and everything else I can think of and she still wont latch on!

Im to the point that I just wanna give up nursing all together and just pump like I have been just so she wont scream. As much as I have loved the nursing sessions we had I dont like her being so upset. We cant afford to see a LC...and I know the hospital offers free conseling over the phone but Im not sure whether or not they do so in person as well. Not sure what good it will do either since she will probably just scream! What should I do?! Someone please tell me there is hope either way! Im pretty desperate and ready to give up though part of me really doesnt want to :(

heidi_timms
01-08-2004, 04:09 AM
I'm just wondering, have you checked her for thrush? My DD started doing this when she had thrush. For some reason it hurt more to drink out of the breast vs. the bottle. I finally noticed the white dots on the insides of her cheeks which is very painful.

Also, is there a breastfeeding support group near you? Ours is at the hospital and the LC's lead the group and you can get their advice for free. Or maybe check for LLL in your area?

I hope things get better for you!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

toomanystrollers
01-08-2004, 09:35 AM
What area are you in? Our local hospital has bf'ing support groups. And I would definitely contact LLL immediately.

Hth

sntm
01-08-2004, 10:16 AM
kathryn,

when jack was still trying to learn how to latch on, he would cry when we tried to breastfeed. i remember how devastated i would feel when i saw how easy it was for him to eat at the bottle. our 3rd LC made the difference (luckily, she was free as we spent a lot at the other two). it really did get better, partly with practice, partly with time. i have been so grateful that we were able to keep going. i had almost resigned myself to either pumping exclusively or switching to formula. sometimes all it takes is one little sign of hope and you will find some strength to keep going. i highly recommend finding an LC (think of it in terms of the money you would save from formula or even EBM storage bags!) and if you do reach the point where you both can't take the stress of it, know that you did an awesome, fabulous job, more than most moms, and you should be so proud of yourself for what you have done.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Momof3Labs
01-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Kathryn, please try LLL. A leader will come to your home and help you for FREE. Also, try your hospital's free counseling (it can't hurt, can it?) - ours offered free phone consultations, and visits to their office were only about $45, much cheaper than a private LC.

One thought - have you tried a nipple shield yet? Colin was a very poor latcher at the beginning (lots of red-faced screaming when I tried to latch him on) but went right on when I tried the nipple shield for the first time - and he didn't look back.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Definitely call La Leche League. But also check with your insurance to see if a LC is covered.

You can buy nipple shields at Target, they are cheap.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

brittone2
01-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Hang in there!! We're all thinking of you. LLL is a great organization and I"m sure they could give you some assistance free of charge.

My first baby is still on the way (due in Feb), so I haven't had any IRL BFing experience, but one of the things that also came to mind other than thrush is possibly an ear infection? I've heard some babies scream bloody murder when presented at the breast because it hurts so much to suck when they have pressure/fluid in their ears. Not sure if that is the case, but if this all started rather suddenly it is something else to get checked out maybe?

Take care and hang in there,
Beth

lisams
01-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Are you using a slow flow nipple on the bottle? She may be used to the fast delivery of milk through the bottle if it isn't a slow flow nipple.

Hang in there, and try to get some help! Call that number and explain your situation - I bet they could help you out.

Good Luck!
Lisa

jec2
01-08-2004, 05:21 PM
We actually are lucky enough to have a LC in town that does her work for FREE! Can you believe it? But, I know that maybe if you explain your financial situation to the LC's, and ask if they can reduce their cost, they might be willing to. But also, a LLL meeting would probably be very helpful and that is free! Do you live near a university? I know that our University has a Women's Center and probably have some great resources available.

I cannot imagine how frustrating this must be for you especially since you've given so much time to doing this. hope it gets better for you.

C99
01-08-2004, 05:40 PM
I highly recommend that you make the initial investment into an LC. It's a (probably) one-time fee of $50-100. If you can't get her to the breast, you'll eventually tire of pumping and move her to formula, and that is a recurring cost of what I'm going to guess is at least about $100/month.

hellokitty1
01-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Kathryn-

You should defintely rule out a health issue like thrush like others have mentioned but it sounds like you are inching towards pumping instead of nursing directly. IMHO, if the nursing sessions are torture, don't feel so obligated to nurse. At least you are going to pump and offer the nutritional value of breast milk. Don't get overwhelmed by the pressure. There are many successful pumping moms out there.

Good luck.