PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk cups (regular, sippy, straw)

deborah_r
01-09-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm worried I may have messed up. When we started Kai on solids, the only sippy cup we had purchased to date was from IKEA and it has no spill-proof technology built in. So tip it and it comes pouring out. I was surprised, amazed, and - yes, a bit proud - that DS could drink from it. I also found on our recent car trip that he can drink straight from a regular bottle of water (like Aquafina).

But then I started thinking, if we were out and I gave him a cup to drink from, I would want it to be spill-proof or at least slow-drip so he wouldn't make a huge mess. So I got him a fancy-schmancy Playtex contoured lovely sippy cup, and he doesn't like it. I assume he does not want to suck to get the water out? I can't remember if he has been willing to drink from it if I take the valve out.

So I'm wondering if I should be sippy-cup boot-camping him to get him to use the spill proof one, or if maybe when he is a little older he will just be able to adapt and use whatever cup I happen to hand him.

To clarify my question: what should my goal have been regarding cups? Is he supposed to learn the sippy cup, or is it better to go to a regular cup or to use a straw? I've heard if they don't learn to use a straw pretty early it is hard to get them to understand it.

sntm
01-09-2004, 01:30 PM
deborah,
you can always try the first years take and toss cups. i don't know if the playtex has a valve but these don't. at least cuts back on the mess. althoiugh as i'm typing (1-handed, sorry) i'm thinking that jack does suck on his. so, not much help! :P

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

alkagift
01-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Actually, I was told by my Ped not to even introduce the sippy cups since it is so terribly hard to wean them on to the real thing, and that cups are meant to be served, sort of like food, not to be dragged around. That being said, I bought some Avent sippy toppers when Matt had an ear infection and wasn't nursing, I was afraid of dehydration and he wouldn't drink Pedialyte. I took the valves out, popped them on his old bottles and he is trying to drink--the liquid just pours out--I use these if needed when we're on the go, when I can stop (like in the mall). At home, I'm using just a four-ounce Avent bottle, no nipple or anything. Somebody (can't remember) suggested using a clear cup so that he would still be able to see while drinking, and I haven't found a good one that's small and light enough, so that's what I'm doing.

I think it's great that Kai can drink from a cup!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

mharling
01-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Allison -
This makes sense and makes me feel better. Ds does not care for a sippy, but will drink out of a regular glass (and we have also been using 4 oz. Avent bottles).

Deborah -
Thanks for asking this! I was going to post something similar. :)

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03

caleymama
01-09-2004, 03:06 PM
I recently found some sippy cups that I really like for DD. She'll drink out of just about any kind of cup, but I don't care for how she has to suck on them right up against her front teeth. I spotted these at my local grocery store and so far so good - they're by Munchkin Healthflow. They're very similar in theory and price to the Take and Toss cups (no valve, smaller design, use or lose convenience) but both the cup and the lid are shaped differently. The cup is contoured, but it's the lid that caught my attention. It's supposed to be shaped more like a regular cup rather than a spout. I can't find a picture of one on-line, but here's a link to the non take and toss style one that they have (I've seen these at BJs) so that you can get an idea of what the lid looks like. http://www.munchkininc.com/categoryA/2_details.asp?category_id=1&categoryA1_id=15&categoryA2_id=71 They're not terribly spill proof (less so than the Take and Toss) but that's not my number one priority. I guess "slow-drip," like you said, would be a good way to describe the flow if she turns it upside down.

cchavez
01-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Diego will drink from his sippy w/ out the lid. Of course, I am helping him....are you guys saying that your little ones are drinking on their own? Wow! Anywaym, I have tried Playtex, Gerber and the toss cups and he puts them in his mouth but he won't suck!

stillplayswithbarbies
01-09-2004, 06:33 PM
we went straight to a straw cup. I got this one:

http://www.playtexbaby.com/cupsandmealtime/products/bigkidcups.asp#quickstrawbottle

Which is spillproof. The lid fits on Playtex sippy cups, so I got that because it is smaller, and used the lid from this straw bottle.

I started her using a straw at 6 months and she does pretty well with it. At mealtimes I have her drink out of a small juice glass (plastic). I put one sip in it and tip it up for her to drink.

I'm hoping to skip sippies altogether.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

deborah_r
01-09-2004, 07:35 PM
No, I hold the cup for him or he "helps" me hold it!

wagner36
01-09-2004, 08:44 PM
I got Charlie some great little clear cups from the children's section at Ikea. They are acrylic, I believe, and cup is pretty small. He can drink out of it pretty well (with a little assistance) - I think it really helps that he can see what he's drinking. He actually likes it better than a sippy cup now - maybe because it resembles our glasses of water??

A friend of mine has this FABULOUS plastic cup that is shaped somewhat like a champagne class - it is very narrow at the top and it has a little cut-out for the baby's nose. Her mom's zero to three program uses them. It is genius, but I can't find them anywhere, so if anyone sees them, let me know!

Tara
Mom to Charlie 5/26/03