PDA

View Full Version : GAH! Just when I thought I could stop worrying about her freaky eating!

peanut4us
01-09-2004, 03:49 PM
You know... she's 9.5 months old. We've gone trhough so much worry, and I finally relaxed about a month ago and have felt like things are going OK. Well for some reason, little miss munchkin has decided to drink at most about 12-15 ounces of milk a day.. .leaning toward the 12 ounce side. Yes, she gets solids 2 times a day. SHe loves it. She gets about 1/4 cup dry cereal mixed with pears or veggies 3 times a day and cheerioes or bread or other baby food or whatever's handy. She WON'T drink water... well she'll suck it out of the sippy and spit it out ;) She's excited to do the solids thing 80% of the time.

But seriously, it takes her about an hour to eat a 4 ounce bottle... she's so freaking busy. I've taken to holding her bottle for her so she can stand at the learning table and eat and play. If I didn't do that, she wouldn't drink milk at all except for before bed and sometimes when she gets up. We've cut out all night feeding except for one and are continually decreasing the number of ounces we give her at that feeding. She's mostly bottle fed. I've weaned everything except for before bed and some mornings when she gets up (some mornings I don't have enough). I'd like to be done nursing, but I kind of feel dependent on that now to make sure she's getting enough. Maybe if I completely cut out the nursing, that would help?

I don't know... I'm just worried she's not getting enough milk. Anybody?

amp
01-09-2004, 04:07 PM
No expert here, and Sara is older than Jacob, but I will say that his daily formula intake is all over the place, and there are days when I worry that he's not getting enough at all. It varies wildly and some days he takes in less than he did when he was 4 mths old. Fortunately, he's always been a big boy, so as long as I didn't see any other 'symptoms' to be concerned about, I just followed his lead. I know your little Sara is on the smaller side, so I don't know if you should be more concerned or not. Good luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
01-09-2004, 06:38 PM
maybe cut back on the solids to see if she is more hungry for the bottle then?

Logan is the same age. She eats solids once a day, and only eats a few spoonfuls. She didn't decrease the nursing or the bottles at daycare once we started solids. I am about to add a second solid meal each day of cereal.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

pritchettzoo
01-09-2004, 10:17 PM
One of my good friends has a crazy-busy little boy, and she put formula in one of the insulated sippy cups that keeps beverages cold so that he could eat on the run. The little guy was 100% BF until he started walking (which was early I think--8 1/2 or 9 mos?) and then he wouldn't sit still long enough to take more than a few sips at a time. She said she felt like a National Geographic woman walking around with the girls out all the time trying to convince him to eat! So she did the sippy cup with formula during the day and continued to nurse at night and in the morning. He would look around for his cup and go take a few sips and then get back to the task at hand (like trying to climb Mt. Sofa, etc.). I think she put water in the sippy with "meals" so that he would get used to water as well.

HTH!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)