PDA

View Full Version : Storage for EBM during business trip?

Jacksonvol
01-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I am going to be taking my first business trip since DD's birth (9/5/03) and I am not sure how to coordinate storage of the EBM. DD will be staying at home w/ DH and I will only be gone @ 48 hours. I have a Lactina and a small insulated bag, but I know I will need more room. The state park where we are staying does not have a refrigerator in the room and I am not real excited about handing it over to them to put in the kitchen fridge. Should I bring a small ice cooler? Also, I have looked at the schedule and it looks like I will have to go longer than I am used to w/o pumping on the second day. Will this mess up my supply?

Thanks!

Lisa

Momof3Labs
01-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Honestly, when I've gone on business trips, I've pumped and dumped. That way I don't have to worry about clean pump parts and bottles, and proper refrigeration and storage (an ice cooler probably won't keep things cold enough for two days - perhaps one of those little portable fridges will??).

Since your pumping schedule will only be off for one day, your supply should be fine. If you notice a little dip, just make a point of nursing more after you return - but I doubt that you will have a problem.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-11-2004, 01:00 AM
I always ask for a refrigerator in the room, most hotels have them available.

I have done it without a refrigerator, and just kept the milk on ice in a cooler. That was okay when I was gone just one night. I got one of those softside coolers that folds up so I can pack it in my suitcase on the way there, and then carry it on on the way home. (don't pack milk in your checked luggage, the pressure in the cargo hold will make it leak. Guess how I know this.)

I just couldn't face the thought of dumping it all, besides that I needed to replenish my freezer stash that she used while I was gone. I dunno, I kind of think of breastmilk as a living thing and I just don't have the heart to dump it.

Before I left, I built up a supply of fresh milk in the days before I left so that she would not be drinking just frozen milk.

You should be okay on the second day, although you may get engorged and it might be a bit uncomfortable. Just nurse as much as you can when you get back. I don't think one day will hurt your supply much. But do be prepared for engorgement and/or leaking. Have extra breast pads with you and hopefully a way to excuse yourself to go to the bathroom and hand express a little if you need to.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

KGoes
01-11-2004, 02:33 PM
One day of minimal pumping has never affected my supply (and I usually average one day like this a week), but I second the advice to have breast pads on hand - really thick ones. The longest I have had to go is 7 hours - I was so desperate that I pumped in the car while driving (I am not advocating this!) and only hope that no truck drivers were paying any attention. I was so busted when I got home and DH noticed milk spray on the steering wheel. I have used an ice cooler to store EBM, but not when I have had to fly. The cooler in the PIS works very well, BTW.
I have also hand expressed into the sink, just to relieve the discomfort until I could pump. It kills me to dump breastmilk, but sometimes, that's what I have to do.
Kelley
DD born 7/03

KGoes
01-11-2004, 02:33 PM
One day of minimal pumping has never affected my supply (and I usually average one day like this a week), but I second the advice to have breast pads on hand - really thick ones. The longest I have had to go is 7 hours - I was so desperate that I pumped in the car while driving (I am not advocating this!) and only hope that no truck drivers were paying any attention. I was so busted when I got home and DH noticed milk spray on the steering wheel. I have used an ice cooler to store EBM, but not when I have had to fly. The cooler in the PIS works very well, BTW.
I have also hand expressed into the sink, just to relieve the discomfort until I could pump. It kills me to dump breastmilk, but sometimes, that's what I have to do.
Kelley
DD born 7/03

pimms
01-12-2004, 12:52 AM
HI Lisa - My son's bday is the same day! I'm in the middle of traveling for interviews and face the same situation. For a day trip of less than 24 hours, I just took a mini soft cooler with frozen gel bags. I used my Purely Yours to pump in the airport (so much fun) and whenever there was some time. Otherwise, I used the Avent Isis. On my overnight trip, I requested a fridge in my room - it may not hurt to ask about availability if you explain your situation. I doubt the cooler will work for 2 days - I just don't think it gets the milk cold enough to last that long a time safely.
I have had to go longer without pumping than I'm used to, which was uncomfortable but okay. See if you can get a 10-15 minute break to pump most of it - you might be surprised at people's willingness to help out. I used my Isis for this since there's less setup involved, then just did very thorough pumpings with my power pump when I had more time.
One compromise to pumping and dumping is to maybe pump and dump the first day, then pump and store it in the cooler for the second day. Personally, I needed to keep my EBM for future trips.
I did experience some reduced supply on my first overnight trip last month (DD was 3 1/2 months). I just nursed a lot when I returned, and for this last trip, I used More Milk Plus (fenugreek and other herbs)(by Motherlove) at the end of my trip, which helped a lot.
Good luck! The first time away is the hardest, but you'll all get through it fine.
(: Samantha

flagger
01-12-2004, 02:13 AM
Are you flying or driving? We have one of those coolers that you can plug into the cigarette lighters on a car and an adapter to plug it into a 110V outlet.

When Ms. Flagger was still pumping and traveling, she kept the pumped stuff on ice or in the mini-fridge and had a gel pack. It might have warmed up to "unacceptable" levels at some point, but we gave it to Cocoa anyway as it smelled fine. She had no ill after-effects of us doing this and we felt the benefits outweighed the risk and with Ms. Flagger supply problems, we wanted every little bit of Cocoa could get.

Jacksonvol
01-13-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm driving, but we don't have a plug in cooler (yet!) I have a call in to the resort and I think I can work something out. I don't think my room will have a fridge, but my group may have acess to a suite with a fridge. I can probably keep it there. I think now I am more concerned with figuring out my pumping breaks and making sure I have enough pads. I also think there will be plenty of ice available for my cooler over the 2 day period.

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas!

Lisa