PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to 'adult' food

JMarie
01-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Ever since Aidan had a little stomach bug right before the holidays, any and all progress we'd made toward regular food has gone out the window. He's turning his nose up at just about everything, especially if it's not baby food. If it's not pureed, it's not getting near his mouth - with the exception of Cheerios. He won't even eat bananas and he LOVES bananas! Normally, he'd go after our plates too, but not anymore. I'm about at my wits end - I don't want to have a two-year old still eating rice cereal and applesauce! For goodness sake - I don't think he'll even TOUCH his birthday cake... Any ideas?

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

SeekerMage
01-12-2004, 02:09 AM
It sounds like he is associating the food with being sick and therefore not wanting to eat because its reminds him of it. What kinds of food was he eating before? Can you try making food fun for him? different shaped pasta he can eat with his fingers....veggies, crackers, meat that he can dip into sauce ( know my daughter will eat anything she can dip!) Maybe you can get him to eat soup...start with a tomato or creamy soup and then work your way up to noodle soup or veggie soup once he gets used to it again.

Also have you checked to see if he has a sore throat at all or maybe teeth coming in that he isnt wanting to chew and swallow? He could just not like the texture or banannas any more or is just tired of them. I wouldnt worry too much...its not like he is starving just give him a little time. Not only that but if he was sick for a while his little tummy might have shrunk even smaller and its taking less to fill him up. Who knows...kids are strange and have their habits, Im sure he will dig into the yummy cake once he sees it!