PDA

View Full Version : Pumping pros, advice needed

megsmom
01-14-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm going back to work in a week and a half. I didn't get my act together with the whole pumping thing until last week largely because Brian was on this huge growth spurt for about 3 weeks (gained 3.5 pounds) and I didn't really know when he would be waking/wanting to eat. He also was taking everything I had and wanting more. To boot, I had 2 sick kids, the holidays, and it was such a big pain to haul out the huge rental pump and do it with my 2 year old up and wanting her breakfast. Now that he has slowed down some, and I've got my little convenient Purely Yours, I've been pumping out after the first morning feed and getting an ounce or so. My plan to pump out before bed isn't always working since he's been up feeding the past few nights and I've fallen asleep afterward and figure I should continue that process since one never know's how the night will go. My supply is generally pretty low at night too.

I should have enough in the freezer for a whole day of feedings, but I just can't see where to add more pumping in to get more to stash. He feeds every 2-2 1/2 hrs during the day and goes 4-5 hrs at night. The couple of days I've tried to pump more, Brian was looking for it the whole day and I had to finally give him the EBM so he would stop screaming. You ladies that are pumping out 6-8 ounces are pretty lucky. I don't even know much I get since the only time I've pumped out for a feeding is a couple of weeks ago when I went to the salon. It was 4 oz. and my DH said it seemed to satisfy him.

Maybe I should just quit worrying. Part of me thinks that I've done well to keep up feeding this now 14 pound 8 week baby. I'd welcome any ideas, though. I'm eating oatmeal every day, keeping well hydrated and getting pretty good rest and sleep. But I need to go and wake him now since he's trying to take a 3 plus hr. nap.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and Brian 11/11/03

stillplayswithbarbies
01-14-2004, 08:48 PM
If you have a whole day's worth of milk, then you should be all set. That gives you a cushion in case you have a bad day of pumping at work.

As far as adding sessions . . . you can try pumping on one side while he is eating the other side. And/or you can add a pumping session before he wakes up. I started getting up at 5:30 AM to pump and then Logan would wake up to eat at 6:00 AM. I've been doing this since she was 5 weeks old. (I pump twice a day at work) She never seemed to notice that I had pumped before she ate, she seemed to be satisfied with what she got.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

JLiebCamm
01-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Don't worry!!! I stressed out about my lousy pumping sessions before I went back to work and was amazed at how easy the routine became after one day! I had only been able to pump 2 ounces at a time at home but was able to fill the bottles once I was separated from my DS at work. I remember how worrisome it felt to think that I wouldn't produce enough, but there was never a problem. Good luck!

Jacksonvol
01-14-2004, 11:31 PM
It was easier for me to pump after I went back to work. DD was with her sitter and I could close my door and not worry about being interrupted. I *try* to pump at 10:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.. This is about when she usually eats. Hopefully, you can sit down with your water, hook up and go!

Good luck!

peanut4us
01-15-2004, 10:00 AM
First of all relax. You should be OK with a day's worth as an emergency supply. Now are you pumping so you can "leave the house" or because you are going back to work? If it's for leaving the house, then what you've got is OK. Just continue to slowly add to it. Also, you might find that you can pump more after the first feed of the day since he just had this growth spurt... your body will be producing more milk.

sntm
01-15-2004, 10:25 AM
One other thing I would recommend is to consider the EBM "off-limits" unless you can't be there to nurse him. If he seems hungrier on the days you pump, just keep nursing him and your supply will increase that way too.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

nitaghei
01-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Jen,

Don't worry. Having a day ahead is enough of a cushion. Just remember that when you pump at work, you will be replacing a feeding - and your output will be that much more. I NEVER have more than a day or so, because my freezer stash went bad (I think I have an excess lipase issue) and I've never been able to catch up. And I've had to supplement exactly two times since March 2003 - both times when I was gone overnight (36-38 hours overall).

BTW - I rarely get more than 1 or 2 oz at home, when DS is nursing, but I have pumped as much as 8-9 oz (even 10 oz once!) in the morning session at work.

Relax - it'll work out, and if you do have to supplement once in a while, it just isn't a big deal.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

megsmom
01-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm just trying to get enough to feed him that first day I'm at work. A few ounces to have in the freezer for my DH to feed him if I run out for an errand and he's terribly hungry before I get back would be good nice, but I'll worry about that later. Since he only rarely gets bottles, I have almost no idea what he needs to eat so I'll just have my sitter start out with small amounts and then add more if he seems hungry. The LC at the breastfeeding support group told me last week that since I'm primarily going to be feeding him hindmilk that first day (it's all milk that I've pumped out after feedings and before I go to bed) I might not need as much as I think. Babies apparently fill up on calories not volume. Makes sense.

BTW, it takes me a long time to let down into my pump even though I feel fairly relaxed and have my mind on other things. With Brian, I let down almost immediately. Do you have to sort of train your breasts to the pump? My other question is will my Medela hands free pumping kit and bra work with my Ameda Purely Yours? Any experience out there? I haven't had time to experiment with it yet.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and Brian 11/11/03

JLiebCamm
01-15-2004, 10:03 PM
At first I had to work on my let down with the pump by smelling my DS's clothes and visualizing him, but after a few days of this I could get my let down in seconds by thinking about what it felt like. It's amazing how fast the body can adapt!