PDA

View Full Version : I must be doing it wrong

farsk
01-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Hello Everyone!

We started Ellen on cereal last Saturday after she showed every sign ove being ready for solids and with advice from my ped and LC. Saturday, she seemed to really enjoy it....we gave it to her after her morning nap. Ever since, though, she has not been that wild about it. There has been a change in routine, though, because I want to feed her instead of her "teachers". She wakes up, nurses, plays while I pump, and then has cereal mixed with freshly expressed milk. She'll take a bite or two and that's it!

I read Child of Mine, so I am reluctant to give her what she obviously doesn't want.

So, what do I do? Is she just not hungry in the mornings? Maybe feed her cereal during lunch? Switch to the evening? Suspend altogether until later? Try her on something else (sweet potato, oatmeal cereal)?

Thanks for your help!

egoldber
01-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Does she seem to want those two bites and just not want anymore afterwards? If so, I would just let her set the pace and keep doing what you're doing. But if she doesn't seem to enjoy it, then I would stop and wait a few weeks and try again. Believe me, if you wait until she's REALLY ready, then it will be much easier.

HTH,

amp
01-15-2004, 11:41 AM
When we started Jake on cereal at 4 mths, he showed all the signs of being ready too, but then his enthusiasm dwindled. We just continued to offer cereal periodically. We certainly didn't keep to any schedule, and in fact, sometimes we went several days before sitting down to try again. If we were busy, he didn't get any solids. If we had time, we'd try some. Sometimes he took a few bites and other times he'd eat more. Since he is still primarly using formula for nutrients, we didn't concern ourselves too much. I don't think he became and avid eater until he was about 5.5-6 mths old and his enthusiasm has grown since then (he's now 7.5 mths).

You are not doing anything wrong. Just follow Ellen's lead and don't worry too much about it at this stage.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-15-2004, 12:38 PM
I started with fruits and veggies first, but even so she didn't want more than 2 or 3 bites for a meal.

I wanted to be the one feeding her, so we started with dinner rather than breakfast. Now, 2 months later, she is just getting interested enough to want to eat more than a few bites at a time. I just started cereal this week, and she seems to like it. I'm letting the babysitter give her a morning meal of cereal and some cheerios to play with at lunchtime.

Last night, she ate a whole jar of pears. I was surprised, after two months of eating just a few bites at each meal. It's like it suddenly clicked for her. Just continue to follow her lead.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03