PDA

View Full Version : What to do at 1 year with DS when DH is lactose intolerant?

todzwife
01-15-2004, 03:48 PM
I am hoping to nurse until Dallin he is a year old. I would try for longer, but I have to have my period back so we can start trying for another by the time he is 18 months...anyway, Dh is lactose intolerant and I am worried that introducing cows milk to DS, even at a year, could contribute to the same problem in his tummy. Would a soy formula be a better idea? I know I am thinking WAYYY ahead. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe pumping a lot when he starts solids, but I think that would be a huge PITA...?

deborah_r
01-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Not sure about the lactose questions, but wanted to mention you may very well get your period back while breastfeeding. i think I got mine at 4 months. I don't know how easy it would be to conceive right now, but we are definitely taking precautions! In fact, I had to go for my annual pap and the OB wouldn't let me leave until I came up with a birth control plan! I was kind of surprised how adament she was about it, but I guess it's not recommended to get pregnant again so soon, unless you really, really want to (body needs time to recover and all that...)

So anyway, didn't want you to think BFing was birth control, and also wanted to let you know you might be able to BF longer than a year! :)

megsmom
01-15-2004, 04:03 PM
I would ask your ped, but likely there won't be a problem. Lactose intolerance in babies is very uncommon and usually doesn't show up until 2 or 3. Breast milk is extremely high in lactose BTW. That said, my dd was slightly lactose intolerant at 1 year (I am also) so we introduced her to Lactaid whole milk. She gradually switched to regular whole milk at 18 months or so and she has been fine since. I would save that worry until later, they'll be plenty more before that time. :)

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and Brian 11/11/03

Momof3Labs
01-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Well, about AF - I got mine back at 11.9 months, even though we were still bf'ing (and trust me, I've been ovulating since then, too!), so you may not need to wean to get AF back.

On to your real question. Colin is lactose intolerant, just like DH; we found that out when we introduced cow's milk at one year. We ended up using Lactaid since they make a whole milk. Soy milk is an option too. When Colin goes for his next ped's appointment (next week) we'll talk to her about reintroducing cow's milk so hopefully he will be on it again sometime this year. Cow's milk is much cheaper than Lactaid!!

If I were you, I'd still try cow's milk and watch for the signs of lactose intolerance. If you see them, pull him off of cow's milk and see if the symptoms go away. Lactose intolerance is uncomfortable but not lifethreatening like some allergies!

todzwife
01-15-2004, 04:09 PM
I didn't even think of Lactaid!-Duh! Thanks, and I know I need to save that worry for later, I just like to think ahead!

todzwife
01-15-2004, 05:21 PM
What signs should I look for?

Momof3Labs
01-15-2004, 07:02 PM
This is what I followed:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032100.asp#T032103