PDA

View Full Version : Waking up at night - growth spurt?

dotgirl
01-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Our DS Riley is about 10 weeks old as of last Tuesday, and I'm wondering if he's starting his three month growth spurt early?

Since I'm going back to work at the beginning of Feb, I've been charting his schedule very carefully, in order to figure out various things about his bottle and sleep needs at his nanny's.

For the last 4 weeks or so, he's been sleeping about 7 hours a night - from 11:30-midnight until 7:00-7:30am. This isn't quite ideal, so we've been working on dialing him back an hour. So all last week he took his last bottle around 9:00-9:30, had some awake/playtime for about 45 minutes, and has usually been asleep by 10:30-11:00pm, and waking up around 6am. However, the past three nights he's woken up between 3:30 and 4:30 am for his morning feeding.

Usually he gets 5oz at night (1oz bm, 4oz formula), but last night we did 6oz (1oz bm, 5oz formula), and it didn't seem to make a difference. He's also been eating a little more frequently during the day. Usually he takes a 5oz bottle (2oz bm, 3oz formula) every 4-4.5 hours, but the last few days he's wanted to eat as soon as 2.5 hours after his last feeding.

I've decided to try and up the amount, and give him 6oz for his first and last feeding, and 5oz for the three feedings in between, but it seems to me that he's in a growth spurt. Does that sound like typical behaviour, or am I missing something?

His doctor says that at his age/weight, he should be eating 23-30oz per day, so I don't think he's lacking in food. (He's been getting 25oz per day, although that has moved up to 27oz per day as of yesterday.)