PDA

View Full Version : where can u find gripe water ?

TraciG
01-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Is there anywhere besides online to buy it like Buy Buy Baby ? Do u need to ask your pediatrician before using it, probably. Sydney gets gas pains at least once a day, usually at night, we cant stand to hear her in pain & it seems the mylicon does nothing, any other suggestions ????????? She's 11 weeks

amp
01-16-2004, 07:10 PM
You can buy online by doing a search for gripe water. Here is one of the places that sells it.

http://www.babys-bliss.com/

We actually found it in a local store in our town by clicking on the Store Locater link on their website. Their list may not be totally up to date, but we did find it at the store they listed for us.

papal
01-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Traci... u can find Baby Bliss Gripe Water online or in Whole Foods. Since gripe water is used widely in Europe and India, you will find the gold standard.. Woodwards Gripe Water in most any Indian store (and its cheaper than Baby Bliss)... i told my ped we were giving Leela gripe water and he had not heard of it but he said if it is all natural then its fine. And they use it all the time in India so i know its fine. But do ask your ped if you want to be sure.
Another thing you can do, my cousin told me this, is just boil some fennel with water for 10 minutes. This is gripe water too.

I give it to Leela diluted with water in a bottle. She LOVES it!!

hth.

ETA: I was doing a search for Woodwards online and came across a warning from the FDA. Since its a new drug it has not been approved by the FDA. They say that they have not tested the effects of dill oil on infants. As such imports of Woodwards are not allowed (i guess the indian store should not be selling it). Unless a new drug application is approved they cannot sell it here. Fair warning. Like i said, since we use it in India and it is used widely in Europe I am using it.. but i thought you should know this.

TraciG
01-16-2004, 07:48 PM
how much do u use when u boil it , details please , thanks

papal
01-16-2004, 08:16 PM
dried.
here is a recipe i found online. apparently they use it in poland too.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art11289.asp

"Below is a recipe how to prepare a fennel tea for a baby. The only thing you need to do is to buy fennel seeds. Fennel seeds are available in every grocery store in herbs section. They cost 2-4 dollars for a container of 1.5 oz of fennel seeds. It is more than a sufficient amount for the time when baby is colic:

* Add a half of a teaspoon of crashed fennel (you can crash it by use of the wooden spoon or cut it with a knife) to a cup of water
* Boil
* Pour through the strainer
* You can sweeten it by adding some water which was boiled with sugar
* cool it down."

Try without the sugar would be my suggestion.

amp
01-16-2004, 09:41 PM
If Rashmi's DD loves her homemade version, you might try it first. Gripe water isn't cheap, it doesn't keep very long before you have to toss it, and our son *hated* the taste. It smells and tastes of licorice.

papal
01-16-2004, 09:58 PM
I think Leela does not discriminate when it comes to food.. she just loves to eat anything.. she even loves her Zantac and i have tasted it and it is AWFUL! Hopefully she keeps it up when we introduce solids. :)

Traci, definitely try the recipe on the webpage first.. gripe water is expensive. I have NOT tried the recipe myself but am going to as soon as i finish the Woodwards.

TraciG
01-17-2004, 12:34 PM
we found a pharmacy from the Bbaby Bliss website that carries the water in out area, we are going to buy it today if she doesn't like it we will try the recipe.

I hope it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!

brigmaman
01-17-2004, 01:17 PM
We got our Gripe Water from babycenter.com...Good luck!

crl
01-18-2004, 09:51 AM
FYI, the fennel tea may smell and taste like licorice too--at least fresh fennel does. Not my favorite flavor either!

TraciG
01-19-2004, 03:21 PM
I was very excited to finally get the gripe water this weekend, found it at a pharmacy, well tried it last night when Sydney started with the gas pains, I dont think it did anything,i'll still use it but I was hoping for a miracle.

What else is there to do, I tried Mylicon drops now the gripe water, does anything work ???????/

amp
01-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Nothing worked too terribly well for us either. The thing DS wanted most was to be held. And he loved to be held like he was a football by his dad. This consisted of DH holding DS belly down, across the length of his arm. DS's head was at my DH's elbow and his arm went across his belly to help put pressure on it. It was like a Superman style thing. We used to call him Super Baby when he was held like that. He also liked to be held upright draped over my chest looking over my shoulder. I think (or at least DH used to say) he liked the pressure of my boobs/chest across his belly. He also wanted us standing and moving all the time. Never sitting down.

I recommend that you go to the library or a bookstore and pick up Dr. Harvey Karp's "The Happiest Baby On the Block". It is a book that has saved many a parent's sanity. It teaches you the 3 S's of swaddling, swinging, shushing, etc.

For us, as well as for many others, this lasted the first 3 mths and there wasn't much else that could be done. We did our best to comfort DS and waited it out. After that "4th Trimester", we found DS to be much better off in the evenings. It will pass.

You can also relieve some of the worst pressure by carefully bicycling Sydney's legs while she is on her back. Pushing their little thighs/legs gently up toward their belly helps release some gas.

papal
01-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Traci.. sorry the gripe water isn't working for you.. try it a couple more times before giving up.
More suggestions that work with Leela
- Bicycle her legs if she is gassy.
- Rub her belly lightly if she is gassy.
- Let her be diaperless. (Leela loves that.)
- Warm oil massage (distraction)
- Warm bath (distraction)
- A Rattle (distraction)
- A Mobile (distraction)
- Rubbing her head (this helps Leela go to sleep)
- Stroller ride or car ride
- Tight swaddle
- Darkened room

Can you tell how many hours after feeding she cries? She might be sleepy. With leela.. 1.5 hours after a feed is nap time and she gets cranky. Swaddling her and then darkening the room and rubbing her head usually makes her sleep.
Anyway, hope things get better for you.

Andrea.. Leela loves the daddy football hold and the upright looking over shoulder hold too! And yep, we should be standing and MOVING.. if we dare to sit she yells!! That is so funny. Its not even gas or anything.. i think she just likes to be held like that. My left shoulder is killing me from holding her like that.

brigmaman
01-19-2004, 11:46 PM
I am not sure how old your baby is, so definitely check with your ped first- When ds was very little he would get very bad gas that would wake him up (screaming!!!) in the middle of the night and early morning. I bf so I knew it wasn't his formula. We tried Mylicon and it never did anything. The gripe water helped, as did a bottle of warm water or chamomille(sp?) tea (2 oz at a time). These 3 remedies were all suggested by my ped, though. Ds gagged a bit on the water because he wasn't used to the nipples- he was on nb nipples until he was very old.:)
HTH

TraciG
01-20-2004, 02:52 PM
I am still trying the gripe water, she does like the taste of it, as she drinks it she calms down, also if she has VERY bad gas & i'm feeding her a long time we will give formula but only if i'm feeding her over an hour & she's still in pain, crying more then eating, when we did this she was able to have the bottle much easier & seemes much better, at first I thought I didn't have enough milk but realized it is just gas, a nightly thing with her, Have to start pumping to when this happens I can give EBM instead !!!!!!!

chlobo
01-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi Traci,

Have you tried giving up dairy? That can cause gas. Also, my gyno told me that he son was bothered by her drinking Starbucks coffee (regular & decaf). I'm having similar issues as you so I gave up my Starbucks. It seems to have helped. It could be that she's just growing out of it but to be on the safe side I'm leaving out the coffee.

TraciG
01-20-2004, 05:05 PM
I am really going to have to think about what I eat, also chocolate isn't supposed to be great, have to have my hershey's kisses, maybe I will try not to for a while & see how it goes.

sbjf
01-22-2004, 08:41 AM
http://www.babyvanson.com She is a mom who posts on another message board that I visit. Don't know much about how her prices compare to other places, but I thought I'd share another vendor here with you all.

I actually had never even heard of gripe water till recently, amazing the new things we learn about when getting ready to become moms!