PDA

View Full Version : SAHM needs help starting pumping

ckate1
01-17-2004, 01:14 PM
I purchased an Avent Isis for the occassional bottle for my two month old daughter and have now tried to pump twice. Both times I got no more than an ounce. It's as though all I get is from the let down and then it stops. I don't know if I should depress the handle further for greater suction, but it seems to start to hurt (or maybe it's that I'm afraid it will hurt) when I do. I am very frustrated and about to go rent a Medela PIS from the nearest hospital. I have had no problems with having enough milk for my baby so I don't think it's that. I am pretty sure it's a user problem. Also, when should I pump? I am nursing on demand about every 3-4 hours, and have a hard time figuring out when I should pump. Both times I pumped about an hour to an hour and a half after she nursed. I read that it takes about an hour for milk to be replenshed. Help!!! Any advice/opinions are welcome.

-ckate1
Ginger's mom 11-18-03

C99
01-17-2004, 02:44 PM
First, check that the parts on your pump are wet before you pump. The suction won't work properly if you do not.

With the Isis, you have to pump pretty rapidly at first to get the letdown and then pump more slowly. I have found that if I depress the handle all the way in and then just hold it there (it doesn't hurt), the milk will spray out on its own and I only have to let go of the handle when the cone is filled with milk (so that it will drain down into the bottle). I think you are pumping at the right time in terms of feedings, but you might want to try pumping immediately after a feeding, too.

It should not hurt to pump with the Isis. I established my milk supply with a Medela Lactina (hospital-grade pump) and that hurt a lot more than my Avent Isis did a few momths later!

LucyG
01-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Sometimes you will get a second let down after a few minutes of pumping. I keep pumping for at least one minute after the milk stops flowing and, more often than not, I get a second gush of milk after that time. Also, make sure the plastic petals are centered well on your breast. I find the Isis extremely comfortable to use, but it can pinch if you don't have it centered well. Just experiment with placing it. Also, try leaning forward a little when you pump. The gravity can help get the milk flowing.

As for when to pump, I would continue to do what you are doing. Or, if she ever just takes one breast at a feeding, pump the other side afterwards.

Good luck! Pumping does get easier the more you do it, I think.

macassi
01-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Can you expand on what you mean by wet parts? I often have trouble establishing suction, but find that once I let down the suction is fantastic, which leads me to believe that you are on to something with this wet parts theory. How do you do it? Believe it or not, I'm nursing #3, but I used to use the PIS and now that I'm at home, I'm loving the Isis. I just haven't been able to understand why I can't get it to work sometimes when I know I am full of milk...

stillplayswithbarbies
01-18-2004, 02:29 PM
When you put the Isis together, the instructions say to do it when it is wet to get a good seal. You have to press down on the silicone part to get it to seal well, and it has to be wet to make a good seal. Also the cushion part that goes against your breast should be wet to seal around the edge well.

I've never actually had it wet while pumping, just while putting it together. In fact I have found that if it gets wet while pumping I stop and dry it off or else it slides around and loses the suction.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ckate1
01-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks all for your advice. After pumping now four days in a a row at the same time, and while the DH gives DD a bottle in the evening I was able to get enough for her. I guess it just takes a couple days of pumping for me to make one bottle. Last night she ate the 4.5 oz I had pumped and then wanted more so I nursed her some. She's a little piggy!! Then she slept all through the night:-) Let's hope that keeps up.

-ckate1
mom to Ginger 11/18/03