PDA

View Full Version : DD is on nursing strike!

littleme2
01-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Hi, DD won't nurse but I know that she's hungry. This has been going on for about a week. I thought the fussiness was due to teething but it seems to be because she's still hungry.

Today, I tried to nurse her aroung noon and she would just cry. I tried for about half an hour and finally gave her a bottle of EBM.
She inhaled the bottle and now she's back to her usual happy self.
I did check her for oral thrush and she doesn't have it.

I am so depressed - I feel like crying. I never thought I would feel this bad. We never had problems with nursing before this. She's been so great about everything. She's five mo old and has been taking bottles of EBM in daycare since 3 mo old. I'm a resident and have been really dedicated to pumping, even when I'm on call. My goal to pump has been 6 mo but it seems like I can't even get that far. I tried formula once with her and she HATED it. I have no idea what I'm going to do once my frozen stash is gone. I think I just feel really bad thinking that this whole time she has been hungry and I've been attributing it to teething.

On top of that, I got my period on Christmas day( DD was 4 1/2 mo) and AGAIN 2 weeks later. Life sucks.

Maybe I should have posted on the bitching forum.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Meetu
DD Sahana 8/15/03

Rachels
01-18-2004, 04:24 PM
So sorry you're struggling! Hang in there. This too shall pass. Meanwhile, here's some info on nursing strikes:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/back-to-breast.html

http://www.drjaygordon.com/bf/striketips.htm

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

amyinNC
01-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Hi Meetu,

Sorry to hear about this. My ds did the same thing at about 3 months after I returned from a business trip. It took about 5 days of trying (the first day I only got him to nurse 1 feeding, the second day 2, etc) - but I finally got him back to nursing again. After a week or two, he went back to being a very happy nursing baby.

It is sad when it happens, but if you're stubborn and keep patiently trying, she should come back to nursing. Try in the middle of the night when she's sleepy. There are also good suggestions in Rachel's post. Good luck and hang in there.

Best wishes,
Amy

littleme2
01-19-2004, 10:06 AM
I read up on nursing strikes and I was wondering --
Should I give a bottle of EBM if she's hungry or just wait and hope she'll nurse?

There were different viewpoints on this- some say give a bottle and others not to give a bottle.

I don't want DD thinking that if she holds out long enough that she'll get the bottle.

Thanks for all your help.
Meetu
DD Sahana 8-15-03

SeekerMage
01-20-2004, 03:41 AM
Have you tried a nipple shield?
This same thing happened to us a week ago...granted Lil'bit is much younger but it turned out that she prefers the taste of the nipple on the bottle and the fact she doesnt have to work so hard to get a mouthful of nipple in her mouth. Because with the bottle you stimulate the sucking reflex in the top of the mouth which is hard to do with the breast (atleast with my big ol' bubs it is) and with the nipple shiled you can do this. They are about $6 and you can get them through a LC or Target and BRU have them.
Its worth a try, if it doesnt work its not like its a huge waste of money.

I personally wouldnt let her cry...it will only make her more upset and possibly not want to take her bottle, or atleast make it more difficult because of holding out. My lc tended to agree that its better to give in and give the bottle then to let them cry as she too didnt like to see the little ones so upset. Not only that but she is getting the same nutrients if its EBM. If anything you will have to pump if she wont go back. If so you can rent a hospital grade pump for about 50$ (the PIS and such wont maintain your supply solely pumping I was told atleast even though we have had success with it) and anyhow its still cheaper then formula.

Another thing to try is try nursing her when she is half asleep. This is how I got Lil'bit to start nursing again because when she finally woke and was already eating it established her back into her "safe place" which it sounds like your little one doesnt have if she is crying when placed there. If you can get letdown ahead of time this helps...even pumping a little before offering her the breast will help. These are just things my LC suggested.....I have more if you need more help...if not try calling a LC or LLL leader in your area as they can help as well. I know how frustrating it is my little one has a temper and it was tough to get her back on but we are successfully going on a week of nursing after a long 9 day strike....good luck!