PDA

View Full Version : Going out of town for first time-feeding?

klinney
01-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi-
My husband and I have a three day/two night trip planned in March. Our son will be 5 months old and is exclusively BF. I am back at work part time so I pump and he gets bottles of EBM while I'm gone. I have about 20 5oz bags of EBM in the freezer but have never had to use any of them. Since I'm part time I can always feed him with fresh milk. I think for the amount of time we'll be gone I won't be able to pump enough fresh so will have to use some frozen and have some questions.
1. What do people recommend in terms of using the frozen? Should I have him use the fresh first (should get him through a day and a half) and then start on the frozen?
2. How do you usually thaw it out? Do you take it out of the freezer the night before and put it in the fridge or just take it out of the freezer when needed and run under hot water? What's the best way to thaw it and how long does it take to thaw?
3. Do you have 24 hours once you take it out of the freezer or once its thawed?
4. Is there any website or something that tells how many ounces a baby of a certain weight drinks per feeding so that I make sure he has enough?
5. Do I need to anticipate that he will not want the breast once I get back or should he be okay at this age? If he has trouble any tips?
6. I have the PIS backpack pump so I can pump every few hours while we're gone, will my supply be okay?
7. Is there any risk that he won't take the frozen milk? Maybe I should try giving it to him before we leave as a trial run?

As you can tell I am so nervous about leaving him overnight for the first time. I know it will be good to get away with my husband but still. Any other advice anyone has about what to do for him while I'm gone to make him feel as safe and happy as possible would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-20-2004, 03:46 PM
1. I would use some fresh and some frozen each day. You want him to get current milk with current antibodies every day.

2. I take it out the night before and let it thaw in the fridge, but I know how many bottles she will drink each day at day care. When I went away for 2 nights, daddy thawed bottles as he needed them, or just before.

3. It is 24 hours once it is thawed, but you should smell it before you give it to baby, it might go bad sooner or keep longer.

4. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

5. I think he should be okay, my baby was fine at that age. If not, http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/back-to-breast.html

6. If your supply is generally good now, it should be okay as long as you pump at least as often as he eats, and at about the same times. I would let the pump run for 5 minutes or so after the milk stopped coming out so the breasts would think they should make more, just to be safe.

7. Yes, try the milk first. For some women, their milk goes bad in the freezer, you need to be sure it is okay before you leave. Also have the person who will be watching him give him the bottle, so you know he will take it from that person.

When I went away, my baby took a total of 120 ounces over the 3 days/2 nights. Coincidentally, I pumped 120 ounces and brought it back with me in a cooler. (I had a freezer stash of almost 300 oz so I wasn't worried about not having enough there while I was gone)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

aguinn
01-20-2004, 10:17 PM
hi there,

our DS is almost 6 months, but has been eating oatmeal and veggies for the past 5 weeks. if you think your son is ready, that might also be a way to keep him nourished during the time you're gone. prior to that he was exclusively BFed and i was psycho about it - like, not wanting to give him anything else, including formula.

if that's not an option for you, then definitely make sure he's taking a bottle before you leave - our DS refused to take a bottle until he was about 4.5 months old.

have a fun trip - i hope you both return refreshed!

;)amy
proud momma to aidan 7/29/03