PDA

View Full Version : Preferences and Fussiness re Solid Food!

etwahl
01-20-2004, 06:03 PM
i just wanted to post because i'm slightly concerned. for the longest time, we mostly fed her pureed foods - veggies and fruit. then we started going towards more textured food in veggies and fruit. i tried yogurt and cheese but she got REALLY constipated, so i stopped that. i have given her some chicken and bread also, but here's our problem. she has started eating very little veggies and wants only mostly fruit. she will still eat pureed vegetables if we give them to her but if we feed say green beans chopped up, she'll only eat a little. same with any solid food veggie. she'll only eat a little...but feed her blueberries or bananas and she will eat forever. plus i was eating a graham cracker the other day and she kept wanting some so i gave her a little bite. then she wanted a ton of it. tonight i had some after dinner and even though she was "full" from beans, she ate banana and graham cracker i was eating and wanted more and more.

is this going to be a problem? how do i get her to like cooked veggies (not pureed) better? i'm concerned about adding butter or cheese because i'm worried about her getting constipated.

what else can i do to get her to like veggies.

same with chicken. it just seems to sit in her mouth forever. is it too dry for her to want it/swallow it?

help!!!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs
01-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Sounds like Lauren is eating like a normal toddler! Colin doesn't like most cooked (or pureed) veggies, although he will eat baby carrots when he is in the mood and eats a meatloaf pie with mixed veggies added. He loves most fruit, though. Colin isn't real crazy about meat either (except burgers and meatloaf), but he does great with yogurt and cheese for protein sources, so I don't worry too much.

Each taste and texture is new - keep offering things and you will probably gradually see her tastes change. She might also never like some things - just like most people!

amp
01-21-2004, 11:03 AM
I posted about a week or two ago when I realized my son was refusing all green veggies. Lori, among others, reassured me that this is not uncommon and that it's not that big a deal. Keep offering it, and don't be surprised when she exhibits her preferences. I guess I didn't really expect this kind of pickiness until toddlerhood! LOL! No peas or green beans for this kid, even if I try to sneak them in via a "dinner" or mixed with something else. There's no fooling him! And the faces.....

cinrein
01-21-2004, 11:22 AM
It's hit or miss with veggies for us. She dislikes peas and green beans, but will eat spinach, zucchini and broccoli. There's no rhyme or reason to it! When it comes to fruit, the girl has no bottom!

Anna also has a hard time with chicken. She likes it, but can't seem to mash it up well enough with her gums to swallow it. I chop it really really fine and mix it in with other fork mashed food, like potatoes or squash. Her favorite right now are these meatballs that my Mom makes for her. It's ground turkey, spinach, cheese (to hold it together cuz she hasn't had egg white yet) and bread crumbs. I chop it into bite sized pieces and Anna has no trouble at all with them.

If Anna eats a lot of cheese, I make sure she also gets a lot of a poop-causing fruit or veggie to balance out the cheese. So far it's keeping her regular :)

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03