PDA

View Full Version : Allergy/Intolerance to Carrots?!?!?

annex
01-21-2004, 01:01 AM
When DD was about 6 1/2 months old, I tried giving her carrots (Earth's Best, stage one) and she happily ate them but then vomitted them back up not long after. Not wanting to repeat that, she didn't get any again until this week (she's now almost 10 months old). And up they came again, and also got diarrhea/rashy on the other end (several hours later, so probably, although not decisively connected.) This is the only solid she had reacted this way to (not that we've done a huge variety.) From some cursory research it appears to be very rare (although less rare in Europe for some reason) to be allergic to carrots. Does this sound like an allergic reaction? I have a few more weeks until her next well baby check-up, I will ask her doctor, I just thought I'd see if anyone else had gone through this...

Thanks,
Anne (whose favorite veggie, ironically, is carrots)

sweetbasil
01-21-2004, 02:37 AM
Yup- same thing with DS#2. I tried them at 6 mo, and he threw up every time. The ped said to wait 1 mo, then try again. At 7 mo I tried again, and though the reaction wasn't as bad, he still isn't keeping them down. He's eaten tons of other fruits/veggies w/no problems, so I'm just gonna skip on the carrots for a while...they stain anyway ;)

drsweetie
01-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Wow, sounds like you were at my house 3 weeks ago! Our ped said it's probably just due to an immature digestive system and that we can try again in a few months. We'll go through other veggies first and then come back to carrots.

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03