PDA

View Full Version : Confused about storing breast milk

hellokitty
01-21-2004, 06:08 PM
OK, I am almost 37 wks pg. I have attended two of the local breastfeeding support group mtgs so far. One which was today. The ladies are great and the lactation consultant seems very knowledgeable. The only thing is today she (LC) mentioned something that really caught me off guard. She told us we should NOT store BM in plastic bags, like the gerber, medela, zip lock, etc.. A LOT of us were baffled, asking her why not?

The LC said that the plastic bags deteriorate 98% of an important ingredient (I can't remember what it was called!) of BM that helps give the baby the immunity qualities of fresh BM. So, we asked her what we SHOULD use and she would only recommend tupperware! She didn't even want to recommend the glad containers, saying they are too thin and it would be the same as using plastic baggies. She said it has to be thick plastic containers! Has anyone ever been told this? I always thought the plastic baggies were ok, I can understand the plastic not being good if you heat it up, but never thought about it being detrimental in the freezing process... She told us we should freeze BM in glass bottles or plastic bottles or tupperware containers.

Just wondered what your opinions are about this.

Momof3Labs
01-21-2004, 09:39 PM
We've always used Gerber bags and have had no problems. Now, if your baby was exclusively fed frozen EBM, this might be a bigger concern. But for babies that primarily nurse or eat fresh EBM, with some frozen EBM added, I think that the freezer bags are adequate.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-21-2004, 11:21 PM
I typed out a long response to this and it disappeared somehow.

It sounds like your LC is confused. It is actually the glass bottles that are a problem because the leukocytes stick to the glass

http://tinyurl.com/2duhq

I would not use anything that was not specifically made for storing breastmilk. I would be especially leery of tupperware, I've seen how food sticks to and stains.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hellokitty
01-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the link! Yeah, I was just a little leery when she kept going on and on about it, b/c soooo many BF moms that pump use the baggies. I thought it was weird that if what my LC said was true, why everyone still primarily uses the baggies???

PS- I am not a big tupperware fan either...

hellokitty
01-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Thanks for posting. I just wanted to check with the ladies here. I was planning to use the baggies and after hearing my LC, I thought oh great, now I have to go out and buy a bunch of containers??? I'm relieved to hear that the baggies will be fine. :)

nitaghei
01-22-2004, 10:38 AM
All 4 LCs I talked with said to NEVER use glass containers to store EBM. I've used the Gerber bags, as well as the standard bottles (Avent, Medela and Evenflo) to store EBM over the last year. I wouldn't use Glad containers, or Tupperware, or standard plastic bags. But the bags specficially designed for storing EBM, such as the Gerber ones are fine. Caveat: I don't freeze my EBM (excess lipase)

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

hellokitty
01-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks for posting. I was a little irritated, b/c it took me FOREVER to get into a BF class at the hospital, then the day before class they called to cancel it saying hardly anyone signed up!!! The LC whose been running the support group mtgs is different from the LCs at the hospital, so I haven't had a chance to talk to them, but I am glad I asked you ladies here about your thoughts on this matter. I will be sure to ask the hospital LCs after I give birth to see what their opinion is. It's just weird that the support group LC is so off about this topic, she usually seems to have the correct info, and I was thinking about hiring her afterwards if I needed to, but now I am having my doubts. I will probably just stick with the hospital LCs.