PDA

View Full Version : What does "weaning" mean exactly?

snp624
01-21-2004, 10:19 PM
I feel dumb asking this. But here is my question. My daughter is turning one next week. I've been doing combination of bfing & bottles, and decided that it's time to "wean". Last few days, I replaced the bottle with sippy cup, and she doesn't have any problem with that at all. (I actually just replaced nipples with sippy spouts on avent bottles.) Does this mean she is weaned? Or she should be using the regular adult cups?? Originally I thought I would be reducing the amount of milk I give her. But according to books, she should still be getting 24oz a day, which is more amount than we have been giving her.

Here is her daily schedule:
7:30-8:00 formula/sippy cup (8oz)
8:30-9:00 breakfast
11:30-12:00 lunch
12:30-2:00 nap
2:30 formula/sippy cup (8oz)
3:30 afternoon snack
6:00 dinner
7:30 formula/sippy cup (4oz), sleep

Does this look like good schedule?? Any information would be appreciated!

thanks!

peanut4us
01-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Sumio--can you give us a little more information? I don't see in your schedule where you are still bfing her?? I think weaning can me 2 things 1) no more nursing and/or 2) no more bottle/formula. You can ask your ped at her one-year well-visit about how much milk she should get... how to safely get her off of formula and onto milk, etc...

In recent weeks, when I've talked of weaning, it has been in reference to my not bfing or pumping anymore. DD still gets formula in bottles... Give me some more info, and I'll see if I can help.

Momof3Labs
01-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Weaning in its true sense means taking something else other than breastmilk for nutrition. So weaning begins when you introduce solids to an exclusively breastfed baby. Or when you introduce one bottle of formula (or cow's milk, for a 1 year old) per day.

If she is not bf'ing at all, then she is weaned. If she still bf's sometimes, then she is weaning.

At this age, I don't think that it is reasonable to expect her to use adult cups exclusively (without lots of spillage, at least). And 24oz of cow's milk per day is an awful lot at one year - what does your ped recommend?

snp624
01-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Joey and Lori---,

Thank you so much for your response! DD is almost off breast completely. (So, she is almost weaned!) I just bfed her tonight because I was little full, but I have been giving her formula in the sippy cup where it says "bottle" in above schedule. I was reading a book the other day, and there was a paragraph, "weaning from bottle to cup" and it talked about using sippy or regular cup instead of bottle and I got confused. Regarding the amount, I haven't talked with the ped yet. We have an appointment next week. Yes, 24oz seems alot, especially because DD eats lots of solid including dairy. I will see what the ped would say...

thanks again!

Joey, I love your DD's name! :)

peanut4us
01-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Glad you felt we were helpful. I know our ped said at her nine month appt that we should try to get her to have about 20 ounces of milk a day (formula or breast). She was eating three good solid meals a day too, so I don't know what that would translate to for your Sarah (and it is a great name!).

Do let us know what your ped says. My Sara's not too far behind your Sarah.