PDA

View Full Version : 1st time mom needs help with Isis!

Margie
01-24-2004, 05:08 AM
I am a SAHM with a 3 1/2 month old. I want to just pump 1 bottle/day, and am having a hard time getting enough. I will pump with my Advent Isis for 20 minutes and just get 1-2 oz. (she seems to eat 3-5 oz./feeding). It seems like a lot of pumping for just 1 little bottle! I try to pump at night (she usually sleeps from 8-12, then gets up for 1 last feeding). I am wondering if I should rent one of those super duper pumps?

A few things I have noticed:

- My milk seems to just come out in a thin stream or two. Is this normal?

- I find that often the milk gets behind the "petals", so I have to take it apart and dry it off

- I did try to put it together wet (as it says in the instructions), but then heard the parts need to be dry. ???

- my pump squeaks once the suction has started - is that normal?

- I did try fenugreek, because I worried it was a supply issue (although she is gaining fine). When I did, it poureed out! But as soon as I stopped the fenugreek, I was back to the 1-2 oz.

Any advice you can give me would be a big help!

~ Margie

ethansmom
01-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Sorry, no experience with the Isis, so I can't help you there.

I would suggest trying to pump in the a.m. You could either do it right before your first feeding or pump one side while you are nursing at the other. You'll have more milk in the a.m., and if you pump while nursing, it will help with the let down.

Don't worry about pumping all of the milk and not leaving any for the baby. Your breasts will make as much as your DD wants.

HTH,

lizajane
01-24-2004, 11:52 AM
>
>- My milk seems to just come out in a thin stream or two. Is
>this normal?

It should be coming out in several streams. you are not getting a let down. this is why you are not getting more than an oz or two! how long are you pumping? are you stressed about it? if i feel frantic, like i have to pump and get it over with, i don't get a good let down. and sometimes it takes long than others to get a let down. i would recommend getting really comfortable. take a deep breath. remind yourself to let your body go loose. then while looking at a photo of your babe (weird, but true!) try again. keep going until you get a let down, and the milk pours out in several streams all at once. you can vary your pumping speed, the pressure you apply onto your breast with the pump, the position of the pump on your breast... >
>- I find that often the milk gets behind the "petals", so I
>have to take it apart and dry it off

if milk is getting behind the petals (happens to me ALL the time) try moving it slightly so that your nipple is RIGHT in the center of the pump. you don't need to dry it off. just keep going. or push the little petals like buttons and the milk with shoot back down the neck.
>
>- I did try to put it together wet (as it says in the
>instructions), but then heard the parts need to be dry. ???
i use it both ways. don't worry about it. just make sure that the tiny little circle thingy is face up and that all your silcone parts are really smushed onto the hard plastic.
>
>- my pump squeaks once the suction has started - is that
>normal?
the handle on my pump squeaks sometimes. it is annoying, but doesn't seem to make a difference. >

>- I did try fenugreek, because I worried it was a supply
>issue (although she is gaining fine). When I did, it poureed
>out! But as soon as I stopped the fenugreek, I was back to
>the 1-2 oz.
>

my isis works GREAT for me, but i have a great let down. pretty quick and i can feel it coming. good luck!!!

edited to add: the more your pump at a certain time a day, the more milk you will eventually get. you just have to let your body know that you need a "feeding" at that time, and you will be able to pump more and more at that time over a week or two.

mamicka
01-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Ditto to all lizajane said.

Also, I ended up just removing the petals & it works better for me that way. Keep at it & relax (& know, easier said than done :( ) - the more you do it the better you will get. Practice makes perfect :)!

wendmatt
01-24-2004, 08:37 PM
def try pumping am. I'd nurse on one side and pump on the other, that way I knew the milk was coming ( I never really felt letdown).
If you nurse on one side, here is what I used to do..... Nurse right for last feed, so left would be full, in the am, I'd nurse right again so left was good and full and I could pump a good amount.
It def takes a number of times of pumping to get a good amount, it seems to build up the more you pump. Try doing it the same time/feed each morning. Drink loads of water and eat oatmeal!
I put the pump together wet or dry, shouldn't make too much difference (maybe a little easier wet).
Keep at it I managed 9oz some days.
Good luck

dregaign
01-24-2004, 10:56 PM
I think that you've already gotten some good advice, but I thought I'd add a word or two ...

I found that my breasts needed to "get used" to pumping -- and that this was true both of pumping in the first place, and of different pumps. I've used the PIS, Whisper Wear (both when I'm at work), and then have an Isis that I've used at home and when on vacation. I've actually found that I get about as much from the Isis as from either of the other two -- it just takes longer because you have to do one side at a time!

I consistently got the most milk first thing in the morning. Mari was a good sleeper, so for a long time I was getting up an hour or two before her, pumping, and then trying to catch some sleep before she woke up. You can also build up your supply by pumping after your baby nurses for several days -- unfortunately, it does take several days for your breasts to catch up.

But hang in there. Pumping is hard, and moral support is important.

Dara

~Mariama Fiona 8/21/03