PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Another clogged duct--even worse this time

miki
01-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Usually my baby can nurse it out after one or two feedings. I've had this blocked duct (4th in 3 days) for almost an entire day and it's throbbing. Each time she nurses from that breast and doesn't get the plug out, the swelling and pain seem to get worse. I've tried hot compresses and massage. What else can I do? What if it just doesn't come out?

Edited to add--
Luckily I did not have to find out what happens if the plug doesn't come out. When my baby was drowsy and wanted to nurse, she let me do a lot more of the massaging at the swollen area without fussing. What a relief!

mrmansmom
01-24-2004, 07:02 PM
YIKES! I don't know if this will help, but I've gotten in a nice warm shower and pressed on the swollen area until nothing more shoots out. I mean directly on the part that hurts. It's not uncomfortable for too long. Sometimes it takes a long time for the flow to end, but it's a nice excuse to have a warm somewhat realxing shower. Other than doing what you're already doing I don't have any other suggestions. I'm sorry. I hope you find some relief.

Rachels
01-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Take 1200 mg of lecithin 3x / day. It will help clear the plug and keep it from recurring.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/bf/mastitis.htm

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/recurrent-mastitis.html

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

tina-t
01-26-2004, 12:49 AM
Hi there, I know what you are going through. I've had numerous plugged milk ducts, about 10 episodes per month since the first month and I've been breastfeeding for 8 months.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that could prevent it's recurrence for myself. I take lecithin 400 mg 3x/day, evening primrose oil 1 cap 3x/day. I stay away from fatty foods and tight bras. I nurse my baby every 3-4 hours, don't skip any feedings. If I am at work, I pump for 20 min. every four hours.

When I get a pluged milk duct, I try warm compresses for 5 min on that area of the breast, then nurse my baby while doing breast compressions on that area. Sometimes, I take a warm shower before nursing, if possible. I've also tried soaking my breast in warm water with some epsom salts. I've had plugged milk ducts last anywhere from a few hours to 4 days.

I've actually made the decision to wean my baby bec. I can't stand these anymore. However, last friday, I discovered a lump on my breast that is not a plugged duct. I have to get in touch with my dr. to get this checked. Hopefully, it is nothing.

Good luck and hang in there!

gisele
01-26-2004, 03:13 AM
I also had a recurrent plugged duct. I tried hot showers, compresses, etc. But the thing that really helped was to heat a bowl of water, and dunk the breast in it for 20 minutes, and then nurse immediately afterwards. Yes, it's awkward to be bent over a table with a breast in a bowl of water, but it really does work! I did this at least 3 times a day, over the course of 3 days.

cinrein
01-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Christina,

I hope everything is OK! I will be thinking about you.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03