PDA

View Full Version : PMS and breastfeeding

Rachels
01-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Ah, the joys of having AF back in my life! I'm struggling with some pretty wicked PMS symptoms, including unbearably painful nipples. For the last two months, immediately following ovulation, they have blistered and cracked, and last month I got mastitis. Nursing is excruciating. Abigail is not ready to wean and I'm reluctant to go back on the Pill since I had pretty horrible migraines on a regular basis while I was taking it. Has anyone run into similar trouble? Does anybody know anything natural or homeopathic that might help? Any other ideas?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jennifer13
01-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Rachel I have no advice, just wanted to say thanks for asking the question because I am in the same boat! I'm not having the nipple symptoms, but all the emotional stuff, bloating, etc.. I was been so moody and tired and had no idea why, and then today I got my period. I'm only bf'ing twice a day now.

Anyway, hang in there and let me know if you find something that works and I'll do the same.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

Momof3Labs
01-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Ahh, maybe it is the bf'ing! For the last three months, I've been ready to file for divorce (and I'm not kidding about this) about 3 days before AF arrives! Then once she's here, I cool off and fall in love with DH again.

Of course, she arrived today and brought mastitis along with her - there is no winning, is there?

Colin nurses three times a day and isn't ready to wean (I've tried a little don't offer/don't refuse and he pitches a FIT if I don't offer his num-nums) so I guess that this is something I'll have to live with for a while longer. Note to self: next time, before contemplating divorce, look at the calendar...

I hope that someone has a suggestion!!

bluej
01-26-2004, 10:38 PM
I have no advice, but you are not alone. My breasts hurt so bad a couple of weeks ago I feared I was pregnant! Then AF arrived and I actually breathed a sigh of relief. It's a mixed blessing isn't it? If it's any comfort I didn't experience this w/ my other two while I was nursing. Wait! That's b/c AF didn't come w/ them until I started weaning x(

Rachels
01-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I'm in tears, though. It's SO painful. The thought of going through this every month is awful.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

lisams
01-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Your question is perfect timing, the last two weeks my nipples were killing me, and then AF just showed up so that explains it. I actually had to find the Lansinoh for a little relief. This is my 6th period post partum, and while the PMS symptoms are getting much less severe (they were HORRIBLE the first 3) my nipples are still sore the two weeks between ovulation and AF. Sorry I don't have much advice, I'm right there with you.

Lisa

daisymommy
01-26-2004, 11:50 PM
Rachel, as you know, I am not breastfeeding, so I'm so sorry I can't add any advice in that direction..but I do offer sympathy! However, as a long time migrane sufferer, I have tried literally every typr of BC pill out there. All of them gave me migranes, weight gain, mood swings, swollen breasts every day of the month, etc. But after Joshua was born I went on the new Ortho Evra BC patch, and I am in absolute heaven! I would never know that I am taking anything hormonal, except for the fact that I am not getting pregnant (knock on wood ;)). Absolutely no side affects! And as a bonus, I haven't had more than 2 migranes since I went on it 16 months ago. My midwife said it is a great blend of hormones at just the right level for people that usually suffer with migranes. It keeps you from ovulating. You only change the patch once a week, which is great for busy mommys that have too many things to remember on a daily basis. Maybe it's just me, but I think this patch is the best! You may want to give it a try.

barbarhow
01-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Oooooh. I was homicidal towards DH the other day. All I could do was cry. and cry. He didn't even do anything. It wasn't until 3 days later when I got my period that I realized it was PMS. I am still so unpredictable but it was the same thing. So hormonal. And my nipples were in agony. I used my triple nipple cream left over from who knows when and the antiinflammatory in it seemed to help some. Do you ever take ibuprofen? That might help some with the swelling and nipple pain.
B vitamins are supposed to help with PMS. Do you have the handbook for nutritional healing? It lists a bunch of vitamin and herbal remedies for PMS. Obviously you would have to cross reference to make sure they were safe while bfing. I would check for you but my copy is in storage.
HTH
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

votre_ami03
01-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Rachel, You have my sympathy in reagrds to the migraines, I too have them & seem to get one every month when AF arrives. It stinks! My AF came back after a few mos & I exclusively BF. :( One of the unlucky ones. In my expereince though, the first 2-3 were horrible, heavy & painful & then they got much lighter & more bearable.

What about the mini-pill? I am assuming that it would have less hormones. I don't really know anything about it though.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

littleme2
01-27-2004, 02:37 PM
I know EXACTLY what you mean. AF came back when I was 4 mo post-partum on Christmas day - this when I am BF'ing every 3 hours. I was so happy that it came back because it meant that I was ovulating and maybe we could TTC #2 this summer.

Then, I got AF 2 WEEKS later! What the hell?! Most don't get it at all when nursing, yet here I was getting it twice in a month! And I'm still nursing every 3 hours!

I guess DH is just really lucky for me to get PMS twice in a month.
I'm just surprised that we are still married.

Meetu
DD Sahana 8/15/03

lisams
01-27-2004, 05:30 PM
That could have been "breakthrough bleeding". It usually happens when you ovulate - about 2 weeks before your period arrives. I read something about the release of the egg causing bleeding. It's normal and nothing to worry about, just a pain in the butt. I had it for a few months after I stopped taking the pill. Hopefully it will get better as your body regulates itself!

Lisa